Bad sentence in explanation of photodiode

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by beenthere, Feb 2, 2009.

1. beenthere

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Something got garbled in the explanation of photodiode action -
    The second sentence is incomplete and hard to make sense of.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I saw your response to the other post asking about it. This is how we find the mistakes I guess. How would you word it?

3. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    One suggestion:

"Operation in this photovoltaic (PV) mode is not linear over a large dynamic range. At low frequencies (< 100 kHz) it is sensitive and low noise"

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Had a little trouble finding it, so here's the location...

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/12.html

Look for Photodiodes, 4th paragraph (second below the illustration).

Was:
    The voltage out of a photodiode may be observed. However, operation in this photovoltaic (PV) mode is not linear over a large dynamic range. Though, it is sensitive and low noise at low frequencies, < 100 kHz.

Maybe:

The voltage out of a photodiode may be observed. Operation in this photovoltaic (PV) mode is not linear over a large dynamic range, though it is sensitive and has low noise at frequencies less than 100 kHz.

This area (Special Purpose Diodes) has several things needing updating, including my proposed Light Emitting Diode update. There is a lot happening behind the scenes. It seems folks have lives outside this site <gasp!>

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    Thanks for the update to PD section. I have entered the change into the master copy at ibiblio.org

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

I would say, "has low noise" or "contributes little noise" or "is a low-noise device".