bad power supply? bad multimeter? user error?

slipstick

Joined Jul 6, 2006
I'm confused by the multimeter readings I'm getting from a wall wart power supply.

Manufacturer says:
OUTPUT
12 Vdc

Multimeter readings:
OUTPUT
5.67 Vdc <--measured dc voltage
11.7 Vac <--expected voltage but it's AC

Would a bad diode leave the AC unrectified (outputting 12 Vac rather than 12 Vdc)?

PS I have a cheap multimeter, with instructions in Chinese. I could be using it wrong.

thanks.

willis

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Some of the problem is the cheapo meter. Most of it is in the wall wart. All you get is a diode for DC - the filter cap is up to you in the equipment. That's why your meter reads mostly AC out of it. Put a capacitor across the output and it will look more like 12 VDC.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Is it a Switch Mode unit..? (can often tell by weight as no big transformer, i.e. lighter than normal, and also often multi voltage input).
The high frequency components that may still be present on the output of one of these can cause some really Bizzare readings on many digital meters.

All other comments just as valid as well.

slipstick

Joined Jul 6, 2006
Yes. It's a switch mode. Good point.

I tried starting it under load (1 M Ohm resistor). Same readings, adding resistors did give me a voltage drop.

I also tried the biggest capacitor I have (4700 u F). No change.

Do you think I need a better multimeter?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Try a smaller load resistor - something that will draw at least 10% of the rated currrent. Any cap over 10 microfarad will do.

Do you have another DC supply anywhere you can use to see if your meter is working properly? That's cheaper than buying a new one.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
As a lot of the garbage on Switch Modes is fairly high frequency, try a 100nF disc ceramic and possibly also a 10uF tant....??. The pack may also be radiating a little which may also upset things.
There is always the possibility it may be faulty as well.