bad limit, need to jump to temporarily operate

hersh

Joined May 24, 2011
I have a normally open limit operating a baling machine. Limit has given up(electromotive spray helped for 2 days). I need to temporarily operate machine until limit is delivered, in 2 days. Is jumping viable in this situation?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm sure you know better than I whether the machine will cut your hand off when the limit switch doesn't work, but, in general, I'd say you just lost 2 days of work waiting for a switch to arrive. Any other approch seems incredibly dangerous.

That's the kind of answer you're going to get from people who have no idea which limit switch you are talking about, and remember, most electronics people don't bale hay. There is nowhere near enough information presented for us to recommend you short out a safety feature.

williamj

Joined Sep 3, 2009
hersh,

I am assuming that the limit you are talking about is the one at the end of stroke of the ram (either extended or retracted). Just jumpering out the limit will not work safely or properly. Those limits (extended/retracted) are usually single pole double throw or double pole double throw, meaning that they do more than just disconnnect one portion of the circuit. They not only stop the extend or retract operation they also signal other portions of the machine opperation to start or stop, such as tie bale or push bale off the compression convey on down to be removed and begin the bale cycle again or signal that the ram is in position to start the cycle again and more.

Most current day balers have operational selections of auto and manual. Run the baler in manual mode for a couple of days. It may take additional manpower but no one would get hurt.

williamj

hersh

Joined May 24, 2011
This limit is in series, to make sure that the door is closed prior to operation. This is not a production machine, just a cardboard baler. I do understand the safety implications and safe operation will be maintained.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE SAFETY IMPLICATIONS BEFORE DOING THIS!!!

OK, if the switch closes to indicate the door is shut, then you can just jumper around it to keep going. If the switch opens for the door shut, you can just disconnect it.

DO NOT REMOVE ANY BODY PARTS WHILE ATTEMPTING THIS OPERATION.

I assume zero liability for this information.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
if you, as the one who jumps the machine, is willing to take the risks, it can be done. But be warned, if you jump the machine, walk away and someone is maimed, you'll be on the hook. If your in a management or supervisory position, don't play with your employees safety.

God knows that farmers work in some of the most dangerous conditions, because they invoke what ever needs to be done to keep operating.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
as blatantly obvious as it seems, there was no intent to link the farmer with the bailer.

Like I have said of a number of places I have had the opportunity to work, 'this is just like working on the farm'. And in one particular place I had to follow with 'except here all the animals are free'.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I started the hay bailing reference in post #2. Purely out of ignorance. It's just that I never bailed anything except water out of a canoe, and canoes don't have limit switches. No offense intended. I just guessed at what was being bailed.

hersh

Joined May 24, 2011
limit has been replaced and there were no injuries. I supervised operation the whole time to maintain safety. Thanks to all who responded.