Bad behaving members

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by t06afre, Apr 11, 2013.

1. t06afre

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Yesterday I kind of lost my temper. And quite sarcastic asked a member if he was just very rude or plain stupid adding that I had hard time deciding which one it was. The member is by any means a new member. Member since 2010 and around a post pr day in average. So this member is not a newcomer to this forum. The member has over a long period. Caused other members and my self quite a lot of gray hair. This member ask for help quite a lot. But refuses to accept any solution other than those that are complete served on a silver plate with full full documentation. Neither does the member listen or attempt to learn by being a part of this forum. Would it be possible for one of the mods to whisper such member a few words. About that his behavior is quite rude to other members. And also add that the scope of this forum it not to serve complete solutions. But rather offer advice or a push in the correct direction.

#12, shortbus, maxpower097 and 2 others like this.
  2. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    Here here!

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I think we also have to take responsibility for this situation. If this person was to get no answers, would he come back?

We enjoy helping people, we wouldn't be here if we didn't, but we give advice with the understanding that the recipient is in no way obligated to do anything with said advice. We all know how this person is, yet we still offer suggestions.

That said, it is quite annoying to have someone ask for advice, get some, not implement it, and then ask why the new version doesn't work. :)

4. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    When they ask the same question over and over, while getting valid responses in between, I have a tendency to just tune them out...

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    The forum doesn't have any rules on not applying suggestions and correctly so, in my opinion.
    That was an easy example, but in general you can never be sure if your advice is helpful and valid for every single case.

I think the golden rule, and that holds for every case, is that when people don't want to listen, you stop talking.
    So, yeah, what I would suggest is to leave the thread.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    User CP, Edit Ignore List.
    I found this quite helpful to eliminate posts by people that just ramble on pointlessly, ask irrelevant questions of the OP, do not take advice, etc.

7. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    There were a few members like that over on Electro-Tech. The kid was extremely rude and wouldn't listen, wouldn't take any advice, wanted all his work done for him. He eventually got banned for rudeness and excessive inappropriate language, but showed up again under an alias.

It would be nice if the mods see such a member, if they could mention it to them in a PM, but I think that should be between you and the moderator. I don't think it's something to discuss on the public forum.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
    Matt

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I missed this one. Lucky me!:D

9. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    @t06arfe: I've watched you melt down over the last few days. I've all but completely stopped responding to the member you're talking about. I don't know what it is what that kid, but trying to help him is like adopting him. Maybe someday I'll try to help again.

Just try to keep you cool.

10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    They banned me for wanting the moderators to do something about all the stinking trolls on that site. What they don't know is they didn't punish me by banning me. They punished members who could benefit from my help.

gerty, absf and shortbus like this.
  11. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    @t06arfe: Don't worry. You're not the only one who lost temper. One senior member from here and another senior member from ETO also lost their temper helping this "guy".

Some of the questions he asked were very tempting and made people wanted to answer them. And from the amount of posts and viewers for each thread, you can see that most new comers would like to know the answers to those questions, including me, but too shy to ask.:D:p

For example, he asked about OrCad and I am using proteus. From his questions, I was comparing Proteus with OrCad and deciding whether I want to learn one more schematic capture program or be contended with just my present one. And this guy never seem to be turned down or lost his temper even though his ego was dented. That's what I really admire him.

Just my personal opinion.

Allen

12. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    It's me. I know it. It's me right? :)

Actually I know the member you are talking about and I have given up trying to help him..

13. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Or from your stubborn arguments :rolleyes::D

Just kidding. In all seriousness though, some of us do miss having you over there. You have a lot of experience to share, but I am glad you were able to find a new home here.

Matt

14. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I know who you are talking about. I have some problems with them, but I just ignore them now. Manual ignore that is. Think of them as a legal troll, as long as they don't cross a line we can not do much, so the only good answer is not to feed the troll.

A quote from Heinlein (I think), "Ignorance is curable, stupidity is terminal."

absf and DerStrom8 like this.
  15. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    No. it's not you. I didn't know you helped this "guy". So that makes 2 seniors from here. Just visit ETO and you'll know whom I was referring to.:)

Allen

16. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Count me in. I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. I gave up trying to help this member well over a year ago, on both ETO and AAC.

17. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Likewise..

18. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I see you're quoting you little friend Georacer. It's my exceptional stubborness that makes me an exceptional engineer.

I truly doubt I'm missed much at ETO

19. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Haha, not quoting Geo, just quoting my own experience. In jest, of course--as always I mean no offense. Your stubbornness when it comes to technical problems is helpful. It tends to be based on hard fact, even real-life experience. That's what most people come here to look for. However your stubbornness to try to see things from someone else's point of view in non-technical issues is where the issues tend to lie.

You may not be missed at ETO personally but your experience is. Believe it or not I have learned a lot from you, as well as from many other people on both forums. It's why I'm here :)

Matt

20. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    What issues are those? I can listen to convincing arguments. Those are few and far in between however.