Back to desktop, back to Linux

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Ive got a refurbished desktop PC, Dual core Pentium, 2GB. The Windows wasnt installed correctly.
But cheap, good brand (Fujitsu). Boots fast.

So ive installed Ubuntu, MPLABX, XC compilers, moved over my PDFs and dropboxed my source codes.

Everything is much faster, installation was just a few minutes while on Windows it takes almost an hour.
The CPU is from 2008.

Still using a netbook for processing orders, as long as it will serve its purpose, but USB ports are worn down and it only has two!

That was a great hassle, too few USB ports, and they wear down very fast.
Hard drive constantly active almost, and performance not really great.

I havent yet seen lagging on Linux with the new PC.
Updates are hassle free too, wont take hours like on Windows.

Postponed purchase of a new laptop. There isnt really a need since Ive got a smartphone now.

Ive been a great Windows fan but the constant hardware replacements are too costly.
System corruption always occur after some months, there is often no reinstallation media,
it would take half a day when applying the updates. These take far too long, often hours.

Sure I'd like to have the latest high end machine so small its barely visible, with Terabytes SSD storage, and so on.
Smaller laptops often cant even run DirectX11. Windows 7 Starter wasnt very good also, disabled DOS compatibility,
and Dungeon Siege runs at very slow framerate (its an old game from 2001).

I could get a 500GB 4GB Toshiba laptop for 229 Euro, down from 279, down from 299
But the refurbished desktop wasnt even half of that, and has 8 USB ports.

I dont play games now for which Id need DirectX and good hardware, so can live with older refurbished PCs.
Still much faster than new small laptops.

I see the adverts for mobile plans explaining how many songs or movie clips I could download.
What is a song, may I ask? I dont understand what they are good for. Cause nothing?
Its a form of communication?
No songs, no movies, no television...rubbish.
OK I had many DVDs but didnt really watch them again so they only gathered dust.
Copied a few to hard drives, never really watched them again.

Stating my day with music? I dont think so!
But maybe I'd enjoy WOW again or the new STALKER. And Dungeon Siege of course.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Just got my dad refurbished dell with c2d e8600 (3.3 ghz) (released in 2008 too), 4 gb ram, 320 hd, win7 64bit. Pretty good system for less than 150 usd.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I just need to buy damn ddr2 ram since one stick died so I can have 6GB of ram then i'll be golden.
lol, yeah. i had a few sticks laying around from my broken c2q. the first thing i did with dad's new pc is open it up, insert two sticks of ram to increase it from 4 gb to 6 gb and insert wifi card.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I spend about $500 and built my beast for gaming..
FX-8350
MSI 970 GAMING
SEASONIC 850 WATTS PS
Powercolor 280x gpu
G SKILL 8GB SNIPER RAM
SAMSUNG 250GB SSD
SAMSUNG 1tb sata drive
Fan controller
Corsair case
Spire eclipse II cooler

Oh let me look around some I might have some old computer parts laying around ..
I know I have a Amd 4400 CPU and 2x1gb DDR ram but I might have some more..