Back EMF of DC motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by khanh, Feb 12, 2006.

1. khanh

Thread Starter Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I got info in some web kept telling me that the back EMF of a simple motor is:
    Eemf = Ke*w*If

Where If is field current of the motor, w is the angular velocity and Ke is a constant. But from my understanding,
    Emf = K*d(BA)/d(t).

But if B is constant under the magnatic field, then as the motor rotates the change in the area field is: A = Area*cos( Φ ) = Area*cos(wt)
    So taking the derivative of this equation
    Emf = K*B*Area*w*Sin(wt); which is not a constant.:mellow:
    Can anyone explain this???

2. khanh

Thread Starter Member

Jan 6, 2006
    No answers? Would my question be too dull or difficutlt to understand 'cause of my poor english? or is it simply considered not related to electricity ? Can anyone tell me?

3. haditya

Jan 19, 2004
    the result u hav arrived at is true..the armature current is varying..which is why a dc motor uses a commutator

4. khanh

Thread Starter Member

Jan 6, 2006
    you misunderstood my point, I mean EMF = Ke*If*tw? but my proof shows that:
    EMF = K*If*w*sin(wt) so Ke = k*sin(wt) which is not a constant.

If you google phares like "dc motor emf equation" or anything I am sure you will end up with the same result above which I believe they are right so that why I doubt at my derivation, it must be wrong somewhere else.

For your convenience, here is one of that website: http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/dc_...motor_model.htm
    (this one says EMF = K*w (K is constant as long as If is a constant) ????????)

anyway, thank you for your reply.

5. haditya

Jan 19, 2004
    wat is considered is the rms value of emf

6. khanh

Thread Starter Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I duno, but they use it to solve the equations ?
    No point of finding RMS value!!! That's weird!!!!
    Anyways, how many of you find my proof of EMF true or only little of you insterested in this topic ???