back ache

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mxabeles, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mxabeles

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 25, 2009
    hey there forum,
    i've been busy with clients and have had little time for my own work recently.
    This means i'm still bent over the soldering table and i'm feeling the burn.
    Anyone have good solution to prevent back injury from being keeled over the soldering iron 8 hours a day?

Thanks,
    -M

2. davebee

Oct 22, 2008
    I had this problem until I raised the height of my worktable so I could work at it standing up.

For most assembly work, the standing position has been great for my back.

3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    yeah raise your worktable some, and if sitting when doing it have the workpiece up high enough to where you do not have to "bend" down to look at it.... I, as Davebee has, have my workbench up higher to where I stand when doing PCB assembly work, much more comfortable to work and can get at anything when needed, which I find my movements a little more restricted when sitting....

B. Morse

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Raise your work table, or lower your chair. ;)

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You are experiencing problems with the ergonomics:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergonomics

It all has to do with how you are sitting on your desk,
    what movements you have to make, (stretching, lifting)
    and also the enviromental conditions.(light, dust)

Bertus

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    You can solder while lying on your back. :) (Wear goggles!)

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    One tradition is to make lots of money so you can hire someone to do the hard stuff.

8. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    hear-hear!

9. mxabeles

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 25, 2009
    thanks for the feedback, everyone. I must say I'm going with KL7AJ on this one tho, its just such an elegant solution. :)

10. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, the most convenient method of soldering is in zero-g, so either hire the Vomit Comet or get on the next trip to the ISS.

Seriously, another contributor to the problem is not enough movement. My sister is a PT and has given me lots of comments about this. Get up and move about the room, the more frequent your breaks the better. Stretch. Do isometrics. Every half hour isn't too frequent, although many folks do it every hour or so. Your posture is very important, so you might even want to consult with an expert. PTs are good at this stuff, so don't hesitate to consult with them.

But the real answer was already given. Have you heard Bill Gates complain about back pain from soldering? :p