Bachelor's thesis

pancikok

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Hi all!!
I am a computer science student and need to find a topic for my thesis! im planning to do the thesis on embedded systems, but as i don't know much about it, i was wondering if someone could suggest me some area in this sphere!!
thanks in advance, Hafiz!!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
A handheld RFID tag reader...maybe even an implementation on an Iphone/Android with an app.

Be nice to know who is scanning what and what they are reading on it... :)

pancikok

Joined Oct 31, 2009
i don't know, RFID is more related to radiowaves,isn't it? i want something mostly related to microcontrollers or microprocessors themselves? more on programming them?!?!?!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Radio waves just serve as a data bus connection between two digital devices. The RFID tag has a 'code', and the reader has to interpret the code and turn it into an ascii character string that a user can read.

THAT is microprocessor stuff. and lots of it.

pancikok

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Hi!!
thank you for your quick response, i've been looking more deeply into RFID tags, and generally microcontrollers.
I have talked about this with my professor and she gave me some other directions to look into. these were basically on Analog devices's blackfin microcontrollers, or zeegbe.
the good thing about thing about blackfin is that they have many resources like online videos in their web page.

On the other hand, currently im working on an Integrated Library system software, and we have to include RFID technology in that system. this intended to make things like material handling automated and make it easier for users and members of a library and etc.
so this is why, im planning to take my thesis on RFID technology and specificaly that is used in libraries!!
i would have appreciate your thoughts about this!! thank you very much!

Hafiz

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Computer science is a big world. You must know a lot of things. Consider building something where you are only given a relatively small subset of resource.

There are a number of operating systems that have evolved to service embedded. Windows has CE, Datalight for DOS, and many others. It might be an interesting topic to see how these operating systems have changed to suit embedded.

pancikok

Joined Oct 31, 2009
thank you for replies!
finally, i decided to settle on an already implemented project!!
RF remote control systems!! Now im researching some basics on RF modules, Pic microcontrollers,how they communicate and how microcontrollers control motors!