B&K 4040 Function Gen Manual??

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Does anybody have a service manual for a B&K 4040 (not A or B)? Mine has a burned resistor (R179) and I'm unable to read a value. Also, R177 looks to have been pretty hot, but I think I can see it is a 10 ohm. Both resistors seem to be associated with the power supply. Pics attached....

Attachments

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for the link, but it for the USER'S manual. I'm looking for the SERVICE manual or schematic. Also, the link is for the "A" model. The one I have has no Alpha designation following the 4040 part number.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to take so long to answer, but Thanksgiving got in the way! I have contacted bkmanuals(.)com to see if the manual they offer is for my unit or one of the newer models. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Does anybody have a service manual for a B&K 4040 (not A or B)? Mine has a burned resistor (R179) and I'm unable to read a value. Also, R177 looks to have been pretty hot, but I think I can see it is a 10 ohm. Both resistors seem to be associated with the power supply. Pics attached....
Greetings Beowulf I don't know if you would answer me, but did you fixed the burned resistor? I have exactly the same problem with my 4040A

The parts list I got says that R179 is an 18 ohm, 5% 1/2W resistor.
Jeez thanks Man, I really needed that data, could you fix your 4040?, It's normal the overheating on the resistor?, I didn't had an 18 ohm resistor, so I placed an 10ohm 5Watt resistor and it heated as hell, what else did you changed after the resistor?, Like I said before, The same resistor was burned in my 4040A too.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
That resistor, being in series with the voltage regulator, provides some level of voltage drop to reduce the wattage load on the regulator. By placing a 10 ohm in rather than the 18, you are placing more stress on the voltage regulator. If the 5W resistor is getting overly hot, you may have a problem further down the line. Time to get the multimeter out and do some voltage/current measurements.

Thanks Man, I already started with measurement, I follow the advice and went also to bk, and asked for the part list. Is huge!!!, but with the schematic I started with the regulations.

Thanks again for all your help.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
This is the response I got from BKManuals a little over two years ago. I don't know if that email is still active or not.....

Just the 4040
No alpha

On Dec 2, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Bill wrote:

Can you tell me if the service manual you have listed is for the 4040 model (NO ALPHA DESIGNATION) or for one of the later (4040A or 4040B) models?

Michael Van Gorder
michael@bkmanuals.com

g23-gen4

Joined Mar 10, 2017
This is the response I got from BKManuals a little over two years ago. I don't know if that email is still active or not.....

Just the 4040
No alpha

On Dec 2, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Bill wrote:

Can you tell me if the service manual you have listed is for the 4040 model (NO ALPHA DESIGNATION) or for one of the later (4040A or 4040B) models?

Michael Van Gorder
michael@bkmanuals.com

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The quality of the copy you got is better than what I got, but not by much. What is really hard to read, in most cases, is component values.
Sometimes a little imagination is needed to see where a connection goes after the line that should be there just fades away.