avrdude and arduino ISP

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by sureshparanjape, Feb 20, 2015.

1. sureshparanjape

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I am trying to understand command line operation of avrdude.Following tutorials, I made the necessary connections from Uno Development board to a micro-controller on breadboard.The Atmega328p on the breadboard was successfully boot-loaded with Blink sketch. I am trying to read signature, fusebits just to get hang of the method. Every time a get error 'not in sync' with resp code. Is there a compatibility (of two programs- avrdude and arduino isp) problem?
    sureshparanjape

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm not clear exactly what you have set up, are you using the Uno as a programmer for the Atmega328p on the breadboard?

3. sureshparanjape

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Yes, Uno development board-and atmega328 p-( it is really atmega328 -PU;I have followed standard steps to modify signature and program it) on breadboard..
    The connections are as follows:
    Target Atmega328-pu
    Host Uno (Bread Board )
    Pin Pin
    13 ------------SCK ---------------19
    12 ------------MOSI--------------18
    11-------------MISO--------------17
    10-----------RESET----------------1
    RESET Pin to 10uF capacitor to GND
    5V----------------------------------7, 20
    GND --------------------------------8, 22
    I am trying to read lfuse by avrdude command "C:\>avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM3 -U lfuse:r:i" and I get the following error:
    " avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude done. Thank you."
    I may have a wrong development board, called "Freeduino" - claimed to be open source UNO board.
    I may be using wrong setting for atmega328 -pu.
    Similar circuit was given in one of write ups for atmega16A; it also didn't work.
    Hence the question:Are Arduino 1.0.5-r2 and avedude compatible?
    If they are, then I am must be doing something wrongin using Freeduino- as Uno or atmega328 pu as atmega328p or both !
    Many thanks for your quick responce.
    sureshparanjape

4. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Are you sure your USB serial is on COM3, it seems like a low number, they are usually higher. I say this because I have seen that error when the Arduino IDE cannot communicate with the chip.

5. sureshparanjape

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Yes, I don't have any printer. In fact my other development board has COM1 !
    The atmega328 -pu on breadboard was boot-loaded not on UNO board but other board -this may be reason. However similar circuit for programming new atmega16 also didn't work.
    Please don't waste your valuable time for my experimentation- it is just an academic exercise for keeping my braincells active!
    sureshparanjape