AVR to RS232 to LAbView ?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by 200702439, Sep 2, 2010.

1. 200702439

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Hello guys,

Here is the basic flow of my project till now:

1) An analogue ECG signal is fed into the AVR

2) The ADC is used to get digital values of corresponding analogue signal

3) Using a USB and serial cable, I could get these digital values back into my computer (Using Hyperterminal)

My question is that how can I use the Serial cable to transmit these values to LabView, so i can plot or filter the vlaues ..etc.
  2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Not much do go on here. You must tell us things like how you plan to format your data before sending them to the computer. This is important for determine the transmission speed needed. Also what is your sample rate?
  3. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    my suggestion would be to employ one of the exsisting data aquisition protocols. This would lend flexibility to your design.

you have a number of options. You can continously send data on your choice of bus, or you can have Labview initiate the sampling / configuration via control data. Labview's Visa wizard makes USB connectivity a snap, however your device must support the protocol. Similarily, RS232 comm is handled in a few simple VIs.

If speed is your game, Labview can also directly access your PC I/O addressing for 16/32 bit width data busses.
  4. mushin123

Aug 28, 2010
  5. liveaspankaj

Sep 18, 2010
    Labview has a Block for Serial Communication that supports RS232 Port.

You can send data to RS232 in a particular format. Labview will receive it directly from RS232 and then it can be made to analyse and respond.

<snipped for-profit website link>
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010
  6. toffee_pie

Oct 31, 2009
    also maybe you can use a usb oscilloscope like a tektronix. and a labview VI front end for this to analyse data.