AVR fuse configuration help

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by walid el masry, Jan 20, 2011.

1. walid el masry

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 31, 2009
    hi , iam trying to configure the fuse bits in avr at90s1200 but i don't know how to do it in right way ??

when iam using a pic mcu i used to say

__config _CP_OFF&_LVP_OFF&_BODEN_OFF&_PWRTE_ON&_WDT_OFF&_XT_OSC

so how to do the same in avr and btw iam using avr studio and Proteus 7 for the simulation

2. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    You cannot do that with AVR.

The fuse configuration settings has to be selected manually via the hardware programmer interface and after you have made your choice/changes, the changes is then programmed into the AVR by the hardware programmer.

For PIC, the configuration settings can be part of the program codes held within the HEX file.

For AVR it is a two step process.

3. walid el masry

Mar 31, 2009
    aha thnx alot well ok hope you don't mind if you suggest me a simple avr programmer to build and a good book in c i can start with and i know that i can write programs for avr in avr studio, keil, mikroC what is the difference between them is it matter of change in syntax in c language or in the library included with the assembler

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    One of the most universal programmers for the AVR 8-bit microcontrollers is this one from digikey. It programs through your PC's USB port. It uses the free AVRSTUDIO4 software development tools to do the programming.

hgmjr

5. walid el masry

Mar 31, 2009
    ok i know there hundreds of boards available but i read that avr have in system programmer and what i want to do is a simple circuit to build and use this feature and to learn on it

6. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    I'm strongly against building one's own PIC or AVR programmer from scratch to learn about the PIC or AVR in the first place.

There are many pitfalls along the way and without good understanding about the chip in question, those problems can always bring headache to the beginner.

When a program does not work, is it the problem of the programmer, the MCU, or the Programmer(that's you :))?

My advice is to play & learn the basic of PIC/AVR using a ready made programmer. You should go for those that connects via USB instead of serial or parallel port.

Then after trying out a few successful programs, you are then free to build whatever programmers you have fancied. With a pre-built programmer, you then easily verify the actions of the new programmer.

7. walid el masry

Mar 31, 2009
    mmmmmmm its seems clear to me ok and what about the c book and the assembler ?