AVR - Failed to enter programming mode.

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by TheCircuitsHaveEyes, Apr 28, 2016.

1. TheCircuitsHaveEyes

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    First off, let me just say that I'm a beginner in microcontrollers. I haven't even used Arduino. So please keep that in mind when giving solutions.

I'm using an ATMega16A in conjunction with Atmel Studio 7 and an Olimex AVR ISP MKII.

The first time I tried the "Blink" program, it worked. However, now(a few weeks after test) it just won't enter programming mode. I go to Tools->Device Programming, where it shows that it knows the device name, the programmer as well as the interface. It doesn't know the device signature(if I click read I get the error in the title). If I click read on Target Voltage, it says 3.3V even though I'm powering it with 5V.

Since the first successful try, I've only added some bypass caps and a 5.6V Zener on the power rails.
  2. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    It could be a wiring problem. Or you could have accidentally programmed the reset bit, or a faulty programmer or programming software, .....

Just need to go through a process to eliminate false positives and isolate the root cause.
  3. TheCircuitsHaveEyes

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    What do you mean by programming the reset bit? The only reset I know is a pin and it needs to be connected to the programmer.

As for wiring, it goes like this:
    - Pins 11 and 31 -> GND
    - Pins 10 and 30 -> VCC
    - The 6 programmer pins to the corresponding uC pins
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016