AVR eqivalent of ardunio's serial port

aditya369007

Joined Jul 24, 2014
Hey guys i was just wondering if there was any software that works the same way as the aurdunio serial port for a avr microcontroller such as Atmega8.
I really want to make a catalog of the acclerometer readings that i get.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Serial communications on any microcontroller is a basic function.
You can write your own drivers in ASM or C with about ten lines of code.

aditya369007

Joined Jul 24, 2014
can we use a software called Hyperterminal to display the values incoming via USB onto the computer? We can configure the Atmega8 via V-USB firmware and make it a USB device

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, you can use Hyperterminal to show serial data coming from an Atmel ATmega8.

Write software to send plain text to the serial port. Then use a SiLabs CP2102 serial to USB bridge to connect to Hyperterminal. The CP2102 will appear as a COM port on your PC.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Termite and RealTerm are applications that you may want to consider as alternatives to Hyperterminal especially as Microsoft no long supply Hyperterminal from Win 7 onwards.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
One of these guys
+ Hyperterminal(the easiest to use) and you are good to go. You just have to install the drivers for the cp2102 and you can communicate with it
from the avr through UART.
Go to youtube and type in ' Patric hood daniel avr UART' and you will find a few detailed tutorials which will help you understand things more.