AVG is now malware

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When I rebooted my machine I got a dialog saying that AVG Safe Toolbar was installed and ready to use and asking if I wanted to enable it or disable it. Since I took no action to install their product, I said to disable it. But AVG apparently decided that I needed to use THEIR search engine as my homepage so guess what?

If that isn't the definition of malware, what the hell is?

When uninstalling their Safe Toolbar product, they cleared out all of my cookies which means that now I have to jump through the hoops at all of the sites I visit regularly again. I guess that was out of spite for having the temerity to uninstall their product that I never authorized them to install in the first place.

Thus I have also every other AVG product on my machine and will never do business with them again. I will also spread the word as to their new tactics so that people can be aware of what they are getting themselves into if they let AVG into their machine.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Unfortunately many organisation formerly above such actions and beyond reproach now act like this.

Adobe and Avast both try to add unwanted extras with installations.

You should always choose custom installation or whatever in preference to standard or rapid or somesuch and control 'extras'

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
If it's the free version; maybe they think it's a way of switching their product to an unsuspecting person (Classic Bait and Switch). It compensates for the free install at the same time by adding a layer of there own making keeping the stockholders happy.

kv

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This wasn't even in conjunction with an install, but rather (apparently) an "upgrade" that they decided to install upon my recent computer reboot.

The only reason that I had AVG installed at all is that I am required to have one of a handful of antivirus packages installed and running in order to access the university network. Now I have to see with of the others are least likely to behave this way (and it may well turn out that AVG is the least malwarish).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I heard an interesting observation the other day about software: "If you get it for free, then you are the product."
I don't even think I know what that means.

I have no problem with the concept that a company makes a version of their software available for free that has some subset of the capabilities of the paid product with the hope that they will benefit from doing so in potentially a number of ways: The person using the free product may decide they like it enough to purchase the paid version (I've done this on several occasions); the person using the free product may talk about it to people that will likewise try it and may purchase the paid product (my recommendations have led to sales of several software products to friends/colleagues even though I've continued to only use the free version); the person using the free product may recommend the paid version to their employer, if for no other reason that they already know how to use the free product (I've done this a number of times even with multi-thousand dollar packages like AutoCAD).

Companies that make free limited editions available (in good faith) are simply using it as part of an advertising campaign that, if done in good faith, is extremely cost effective and results in possibly the best marketing strategy around. Now, some software packages just don't fit the "limited free edition" model very well and that's just the way it is.

I would much prefer a free limited edition to a time-limited free trial of the full edition. I hate installing software on my machine that is going to become unusable after some amount of time.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola WBahn

I understand your feelings. Long time ago I got used to check every step of any installation I have to do. No more rush cliking to complete.

Basically I doubt that there is any "popular software" (in free version) that does not employ the same dirty technique.

In Win 95 times, I learnt the hard way that lot of software (mostly for graphics and software for old digital cameras) flooded PCs before you knew what was going on. Initially I believed they were somehow required for the soft to work OK. My bad.

AVG is the AV I used (still use) the most. But even then, I always go slow to avoid installing anything as you say. There is two days already that AVG is telling to reinitialize (did already three days ago). BTW, it was then I learnt that, by art of magics, I am using a PRO version (obviously in a test period). Now I am being urged to finally move to PRO forever.

The sole PRO I eventually could elect is one of the local parties that is running for presidentials in the next months! :p :D True!

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
This wasn't even in conjunction with an install, but rather (apparently) an "upgrade" that they decided to install upon my recent computer reboot.

The only reason that I had AVG installed at all is that I am required to have one of a handful of antivirus packages installed and running in order to access the university network. Now I have to see with of the others are least likely to behave this way (and it may well turn out that AVG is the least malwarish).
At our Uni we have Mcafee license for Education. They provide it to students, Faculty, and Staff as a free download.

I agree if during the install they allow you to uncheck boxes; I always do. But; sounds like you didn't have the option or just missed something while installing.

kv

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Google has become very invasive these days, pushing Chrome on you every time you turn around. And that's on a Mac.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Google has become very invasive these days, pushing Chrome on you every time you turn around. And that's on a Mac.
I've notice that; our Dept uses Macs we have it in all our Classrooms as dual boot Windows or Lion. Campus uses PC. But; I will say that they do push it on the Mac folks when I prefer Safari.

Don't get started on the other Virus something? Exploder? or is that Exploiter? :p

kv

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I can't stand McAfee because they slow your computer to a crawl. I bought my dad a computer years ago (it ran Millennium) and the thing was so slow it was practically useless for him and all he wanted to do was play games like Hearts online. I assumed it was because of Millennium. After he died I was staying at my stepmom's preparing for the funeral and I powered up his machine and saw that it was worse that I had thought it was. It was virtually impossible to even check my e-mail. I turned off McAfee and it became a speed demon. My dad lost out on a couple years of enjoyment because of a damn antivirus program that hogged all the resources.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
....... "If you get it for free, then you are the product."
...............I don't even think I know what that means..........
What it means is that if you get it for free then they will likely sell data about you, your computer, your data, your browsing habits, your purchases, etc. They can also force feed your computer applications that you did not sign up for (knowingly). Before you install any software, read the "End User License Agreement", or EULA. Yes, I know it is annoying, but it will tell you how evil the software is.

Also, when you do install software, do it slowly, so you can read each screen. Make sure that there is not a box checked that says, "I surrender my sole to the dark lord". (you get my drift)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I can't stand McAfee because they slow your computer to a crawl. My dad lost out on a couple years of enjoyment because of a damn antivirus program that hogged all the resources.
Can't disagree; I worked for Mcafee part-time for a short stint . Maybe it's because we're running I7's with SSD's and could be why we don't notice the difference.

kv

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What it means is that if you get it for free then they will likely sell data about you, your computer, your data, your browsing habits, your purchases, etc. They can also force feed your computer applications that you did not sign up for (knowingly). Before you install any software, read the "End User License Agreement", or EULA. Yes, I know it is annoying, but it will tell you how evil the software is.

Also, when you do install software, do it slowly, so you can read each screen. Make sure that there is not a box checked that says, "I surrender my sole to the dark lord". (you get my drift)
Okay, I get what you mean.

I definitely agree that random "free" programs are very likely to be this way. I think that is less so the case with free versions of paid software, but definitely read the EULA. I've opted not to install numerous programs or, much more often the case, register for some site that someone I know is expecting me to use (such as a site that they used to send me a birthday e-card or some such) because their Privacy Policy and/or EULA indicate that they are going to share my contact info. No thanks!!!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
because of a damn antivirus program that hogged all the resources.
WBahn,Today at 12:50 AMReport
#11Like+ Quote
One of the problems is that companies try to persuade you to 'upgrade' to a more expensive version either at the annual reregistration or these days even more frequently.

I tell all my customers to resist this like the plague, and in particular to never ever get something called internet security, but sure enough I get a steady stream of "Hello Studio T my pc has slowed to a useless crawl".

9 times out of 10 they have upgraded and most times they have purchased internet security at re-registration.

Over the years I have recommended different AV programs.
At some point they go bad and I know it happens when the introduce something called "Internet Security" instead of anti virus.
I have seen Norton, Macafee, Panda, AVG, Avast and others do this.

I generally recommend Avast because it is modular and you can turn of the road hog modules and be left with a usable product.
It also has two facilities that are very useful.
A 'safe zone' sandbox
A (free) secure facility for remote connection between computers.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What's AVG, my home network runs on Linux.:)

It's not immune to this crap but its currently not a target market.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It's not immune to this crap but its currently not a target market.
Your computer might not be a target, but all the major players ... i.e. your namesake certainly are.

After I install any program, I go to control panel to see what else it might have installed for immediate removal.