Autonomous Heli-wife

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by count_volta, May 20, 2012.

1. count_volta

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I decided to post this in the off topic forum because I am not planning on actually building this. Its mostly just for laughs, but if anybody does go ahead with this, remember the idea was mine!!! (unless this already exists, in which case I want to see video)

So I had this idea. Youre lying on your couch. You want a beer. You have no wife. You press a button on your universal tv remote. All of a sudden you hear a voice. "Beer coming in just a few minutes honey!!!" (in a sexy female voice)

Then you see an RC helicopter take off in the living room. The helicopter flies to the fridge by itself (autonomously). It sends a signal to the fridge. The fridge door opens. A specially designed shelf extends out that contains beer. The system sends a signal to the helicopter that the beer is ready.

The helicopter uses a magnet and cable to grab beer. Then the fridge closes. Helicopter delivers beer to you and drops it gently on your lap. Then helicopter lands and connects itself to charging station and waits for another request. This can also be done with a sandwich or anything else.

I call it the Heli-wife. The motto is, "Why get married, when the heli wife can get you a sandwich and never nags?!!!" P.S. If you do discover obvious other reasons to get married, the heli wife can be reprogrammed to do just about anything. ;)

I would seriously consider building this if I had the funding. I wish this could be my senior design project. LOL. I swear millions of men will want one. We could make millions?

Copyright "Sorokacorp" (the company I will own someday. Haha)

A guy can dream.......

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    WE can dream .....

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    In the short term, I have seen videos of dogs that can go get a beer for you. You still have to feed them andd wash them but they are much less demanding than a wife.

4. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Really? ..... Anything? ... There is at least one activity I do with my wife, in which the introduction of spinning high speed whirly blades would be very frightening. :D

strantor likes this.
  5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Probably easier to build if you had one of the soda can vending machines. There is one in our office that would be ideal for this purpose. It uses a robotic arm on an x - y axis grid. It could probably be pretty easily adapted to serve drinks to your flying robot.

6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    With an RC heli it would be near impossible because of the changing ground effect on lift. You could put a speaker on your dogs collar and train him. I've seen dogs fetch beer, beer firing fridges(Hit a button on your phone or remote and the fridge shoots a can of beer to the couch.). As far as scifi goes rent the movie Cherry 2000. Its as good as the one film bill recommended with tom Seleck

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  8. count_volta

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yea I already saw the fridge that launches beer. That kind of inspired me a little. The motto of the company that makes the heli-wife should be "We cater to the laziness of the hard working male".

Only an engineer would spend a year working on a device that automatically does something that it takes a person 2 minutes to do by hand. We are insane that way.

9. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    When I was going through my plc training in college I joked around a bit about building an electric train set that was controlled by a plc. There would be push buttons located around the house that you could use to select the type of drink you wanted and the train would go to the refrigerator and the selected drink would be loaded on. Then the train would bring it to you.

I did go so far as to write a program in RSLogix for the system. :)

10. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I wonder what could be the difference in weight for different beer brands.

Eventually, that could make the machine to miss the target.

Basically I drink nothing coming in tins be it beer, sodas or whatever.

11. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    There was an episode of mad scientists where a guy did exactly this, except instead of using a helicopter, he used a line following robot made out of a trash can. When I saw that, and when I read this, my thoughts were, if you're too lazy to get up and get a beer, why not pay someone 20$ to move your fridge next to your lazyboy?

12. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    Why not get a lazyboy with a built in fridge? :D

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I don't think the beer with change weight unless you use different size can/bottles. But thats where your weight difference will come in. Easy work around is to weigh the beer on launch pad and adjust pressure.

14. MvGulik

Nov 3, 2011
    Add a variable launch direction ... and it could double as burglar catcher. *THUNK*

15. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  16. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    lying on the couch drinking beer without a wife, desiring a sexy voice, and the solution is to buy a helicopter. Just think, somewhere there's a sexy gal hoping to meet a helicopter pilot. My guess is she'd want the real thing though

strantor likes this.
  17. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Thats no BS. I used to fly rc heli's. Whip one out and start to do some kickin moves and a crowd forms. RC heli's are chick magenets. Tells them your educated, good with your fingers, have a lil money, and have some skillz! I've had the local girls track team stop practice to watch, I crashed under the pressure. LOL I've even had people stop their car's and watch for over an hour asking questions and really into it. Then you can tell em how blade pitch works and a heli can actually fly upside down, etc.. And hell it turns em on when your got that blade swinging at 3500 RPM and you go from 80mph to a dead stop in about 2ft. You can actually hear the carbon fiber blade grabbing the air. Oh man I'm getting horny for heli's now. You Bastads!!!!!! I'm broke!
    I had a
    Trex 450
    Mikado Logo 10
    and a Trex 600E.
    Never got into combustion heli's though. If anyone intersted in this stuff you can start with a blade dual rotor stable heli for around $90. Easily flown around living room and such. Then you can step up to a Trex 450, that will set you back around $250 for the complete setup. But before you buy a real 3D heli, do yourself a favor and buy a RC plane and heli simulator you use with your actual controller. This will save you hundreds of thousands of dollars from crashing. Its actually pretty hard to fly somethign with 6 axis.

Last edited: May 28, 2012