Automotive intercooler fan wiring

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MTGriz87, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTGriz87

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Hello folks,
    I'm wanting to add a fan to my intercooler on my car, but I don't want it to be on constantly.

Ideally, it would be somehow wired into the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor and only come on when temps go above a certain point like 95 degrees. Then there would be an override switch inside the car that would normally be on that I could turn the fan off at my discretion.

The problem is that I am not sure how to do the IATemperature-dependent switching. I'm assuming it is a 0-5V sensor and temps correspond to voltages, though I don't know what that correlation is. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. scampo77

Jun 24, 2011
    do you have access to a scan tool to map your new temp requirements against the exsisting voltage /temp map?

3. MTGriz87

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Yes, I could nick the IAT wire and get the voltage reading while seeing what my SCT OBD scanner says for temperature at the same time... get a few readings at different temps/voltages and map out a correlation

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Sorry, discussions on automotive modifications topics are no longer permitted on these Forums, as per the Terms of Service.

Excerpt:

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
    6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service
    There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
    Member selected automotive forums

Bertus