Automotive HID relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

vital

Joined Apr 25, 2011
First post here and since i finding myself working on electronics more and more nowadays i have a feeling i'll be regular here :)

Typical automotive hid (xenon bulbs) relay didn't work for my application and i assume it's because of voltage. This relay (just like many others) is made to work with 12V constant and 12V trigger.
Is there a relay that would basically be exact same one as what i have but would work with 6V trigger and 12V constant?

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Just curious about what your application of the relay will be. I think the current you will be handling will determine what relay you should use. Obviously if you are using a 6vdc power source then you will want a relay coil that energizes within that range, probably a 5vdc coil will be more common, one of the more experienced guys can tell you. But in my experience, as long as you have the right voltage rating for energizing the coil, and you aren't exceeding the current rating, you will be fine. Do you have radioshack nearby? Most shacks have an assortment of relays to choose from, just check the spec's to make sure it falls within your application.

vital

Joined Apr 25, 2011
We are iffy about any automotive electronics due to regulations and safety issues. What is your application?
Not exactly sure why safety issues are serious enought to not be covered since really just about anything u do has some safety issues as long as your project isn't done right.

But anyways what i'm trying to achive is be able to turn my car's fog lights on with factory switch anytime i feel like it, not be limited by car's default setting which basically are:
1. can't have fogs if headlights (low beams) are not "on"
2. can't have fogs when high beams are "on"

I know there's many ways to achive 100% independant fog ligth control with aftermarket switch but i'd like to keep my car as close to stock look as possible thus the need to control my fog lights with factory fog switch while by-passing all factory default settings.

Constant will stay 12V since that's that car's batteries are and what is needed for lights to stay on but voltage coming out of my switch is 6V which isn't enought to activete the relay.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
<snip> not be limited by car's default setting which basically are:
1. can't have fogs if headlights (low beams) are not "on"
This is probably because if the low beams are not on, the tail lamps and side markers are not on; thus it is a safety feature.
2. can't have fogs when high beams are "on"
If the high beams are on, there really is no good reason to have fog lights on; it will simply make the vehicle consume excess fuel. Also, the alternator may not be capable of providing enough power for all of the accessories, PLUS the high beams, PLUS the fog lamps, simultaneously.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I will close this thread as safety issues will arise.

From the Automotive Guidelines :

2. Any homemade wiring modifications to signal or head lighting, or penetrations through the fiewall are not for discussion. The lighting function is to too critical for non-approved wiring and connectors. Many safety issues are involved. Preventing chafing in wires passing through driver-made holes is impossible to guarantee.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.