Automatic Voltage Regulator

Dumken

Joined Oct 7, 2014
Good day everyone. Pls can someone help me with a material or textbook that will give a detailed explanation of AC automatic voltage regulator design. Thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have built a simple one using a LM311.
Or do you need to duplicate the current types, the one above was similar to the first electronic types that replaced the electromagnetic ones in automobiles.
Max.

Last edited:
Dumken, you need to describe more about your application. Give us specifics. Your words so far are too general. If you don't have any specifics, you need to get them or you can't design something like this. Here are some questions for you to get specifics:

How do you intend to use this? What is the input and the output, AC/DC, voltage, frequency? What supplies the input, battery or mains or what? What does the output connect to?

If you're talking about going from a low-voltage DC input (like a car battery 12V) to mains-type AC voltage (220V 50Hz or 110V 60Hz) it's called a power inverter or just "inverter". Google "inverter design" and you'll find a lot of stuff.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Wat i need is the electronic type. Thanks
The LM311 electronic version is a simple circuit, the reason that it was replaced in automobiles is due to the the radio interference caused and inline suppressors were needed for the radio.
I have also used it to control the field for 240vdc generators also.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
My guess is he needs a line voltage stabilizer like a constant voltage transformer.

Otherwise I associate the term automatic voltage regulator with generators.

Last edited:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the switch elements are make before break, usually submerged in oil. usually seen in a group of three that look like transformers on a pole.