automatic garden sweeper help!!!!

jayjay23

Joined Sep 30, 2011
Im new to all this electronics, i just need some ideals and some informations about a project im interested in. basicly a little automatic car that goes in a straight line and then turn 180° at the end of the garden and then continue in a striaght line till the next 180° turn. i want to be able to slow the car down a little before making the 180° turns. please help me!!!!

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
New to electronics... What about micro controller programming? You will need this as well.

First off, what exactly does your "garden sweeper" do, rake leaves, till the soil???
Second, describe this "little car". Does it have a motor (electric, gas...).

There are way too many unknowns for us to even begin to give advice.

"No. 5, More Imput!"

Hey, welcome to the forum!!

jayjay23

Joined Sep 30, 2011
First of all thanks for the replying....
about the micro controller programming. I tried to write a code using mplab. cause i think it be easier than soldering resistors capacitors transistors E.t.c.

i just want the car to travel in a straight line and 180 degree turn but raking leafs will be a bonus part.
the little car will have 2 motors or 1 to drive the back wheels and sensors. the whole things will be powered by a solar panel +9v

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A motor big enough to move a solar panel is often too large to be powered by that panel. At least not very fast or with extra power for auxilliary work such as sweeping, cutting, raking, vacuuming, whatever.

You'll need to provide the specs for your panel for folks here to help. You'll also need to be clearer on your goals, since a "garden sweeper" that just goes back and forth doesn't make sense, IMHO.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
how about just having it attached to some kind of guide wire as it travels, have the corners a little curved so the "vehicle" can easily be guided around the corner..... wont need much for that, or you can build in guide rails in the ground using PVC pipe or similar, better yet, PEX tubing would be better since you could just bend it around corners instead of using connectors like PVC.... or, since this is outside in a garden, you can build a rail guide system using that plastic garden edging, which is fairly cheap.... or if you can not have a guide rail, use the same concept as an invisible dog fence and create a circuit to detect the hidden wire.....

jayjay23

Joined Sep 30, 2011
to be clearer. let forget about the name for now. first of all i build a white/black line tracking car in my group work. but now i want to build a car that will travel on it own in a straight like and make a 180° turn at the end of the garden and then continue in a straight line before make another 180° turn. it is to be powered by a solar panel, i have an idea of a motor circuit to drive the motors. but i don't have much idea about making it go in a straight line and how to make it turn 180°, also which type os sensors i can use and the sensor circuit since it going to be different to the line tracking sensor circuit. about the raking part i can tackle that later. i hope that more clearer. "it just an improvement to the line tracking car" the picture attacked might help

Attachments

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Without a lot of sensors and a line to track I come up blank aside from GPS and a lot of programming, and still more sensors.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
you will definitely need a few types of sensors to accomplish this, my roverbot alone has several bumper switches, a Sonar Ranger, 2 High Speed IR rangers and a few other "non-contact" sensors that it uses to maneuver around the house....