Automatic current switch for speakers, i.e. headphones socket

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by -Excalibur-, Oct 26, 2008.

1. -Excalibur-

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2008
    How do you make the speakers automatically turn off when you plug in headphones? (Using a simple audio amp, output for headphones is the same strength as for the speakers)

I heard or read somewhere that this could be achieved using simple components like a capacitor.

Any help appreciated,

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually a lot of earphone jacks have the function built in. They actually have two sets of contacts, one when their isn't anything plugged in, and the other when the headphones are plugged in.
  3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    An easy way to do it is to place a limit switch and sense the earphones when you plug them in.
  4. -Excalibur-

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm still confused - what do I actually need to do? I don't mind if the output volume of the headphones out is the same as the internal speakers, but I do need the internal speakers to be off when I plug in the headphones.

EDIT: sorry, I had a headphone jack without the five pins and switches - I thought you had to have a separate switch curcuit. I modified an existing jack so I could still have the metal front, and it worked better than expected. All should be fine now. Sorry for seeming like such an eejit...
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008