Automated press project

Boosted3s

Joined Sep 26, 2012
hey guys, i would like to start a project of automating my ammo reloading press amd i need a bit of assistance on the controls. i have the mechanical side of things worked out, but the electrical side is what I am unsure of.

Here is the basic idea. i plan to use a linear actuator to run the press
up and down. The actuator needs to move the shell plate up to a specific point, stop then retract down to a specific point and repeat over and over. I found a motor controller from blue point engineering that will run the motor until it hits a limit switch, but i need to supply a 12v+ on or off control signal. here is some info on that controller. http://www.bpesolutions.com/bpemanuals/LinearControlBoard.pdf

how or what do I need to provide this control signal or is there something completely different to look at. I am open to ideas. Thanks

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That board probably won't handle the amps you're likely going to need, and really you don't even need it. All you need is a maintained limit switch like this one. You will need to make an arm for it with a hole; then attach a rod to your arm of your press and pass the rod through the hole. slap a couple of adjustable stops on the rod and adjust everything so that as it reaches the end of the stroke, it trips the arm of the limit switch in one direction and reverses the motor until it hits the arm of the limit switch again in the opposite direction and reverses the motor again.