automated electronic garden watering

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Simon Huber, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Simon Huber

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Linking the soil moisture level indicator in funway into electronics 1 to a water solenoid has any one tried this or would it even work ???? would a timer circuit be needed to see turn off the solenoid mabey ??? has any one tried to do this before ???? Would i need perminion from Dick Smith to use a part of his circut or couli I simply change it slightly ??? would be nice to do this on a solar powered system any ideas or thoughts or in put or answers will be apreciated cheers Simon

2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Should work. Use AC to measure soil resistance, run water on timer, wate a day re measure & re water if necessary.

3. Simon Huber

Apr 22, 2015
    Thank you Bernard I will have a go at designing a circuit swapping the diode indicator in Dick Smiths circuit to the base of a switching transistor to run a relay to power on a 24 volt ac transformer to run a water solenoid or something like that mabey when the soil is moist the circuit will detect and hopefully do away with a timer thus being most water efficient cheers again Simon

4. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    hi Simon,
    Soil moisture sensing and automatic irrigation is a commonly used technology.
    This pdf shows another option.
    E

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Whats "funway"?
    Whats "electronics 1"?
    Whos Dick Smith?
    mabey, perminion, couli..
    Please take a second before you post to actually read your question and see if it makes sense.

Reading through the lines...
    Yes one can control a solenoid based on the output of any sensor..

And so long as something is for personal use and you aren't trying to sell it you can copy/build anything without someones permission..

6. Simon Huber

Apr 22, 2015
    Thank you ericgibbs I I will have a look and then I can get stuck into my gardening cheers Simon

7. Simon Huber

Apr 22, 2015
    Hello mcgyvr to clarify fun way into electronics 1 is the of a name of a book written by Dick Smith I would highly recommend reading it to anyone who has little understanding of electronics even a child because I wasa child when I read it over 30 years ago the soil moisture indicator is project number 2 from memory it basically lights up a light emmiting diode in the presence of moisture in soil I don't want to market this I only would like to share. Cheers Simon