AutoLight with PIR sensor.

jriofrio

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Hello everyone... this is my first post.
I hope i could get some help with this project i have at the moment.
I'm doing an On/Off automatic battery base light thingy, to light up when entering a room until we can get to the light switch.
I have already a working prototype on the breadboard. Just need to get it in an enclosure.
I'm using old AA batteries (my sons consume many in video games devices), i have accumulated many and really want to make my money worth.
The circuit goes this way: Batteries--PIR sensor--DC boost converter--LEDs.
I'm using 12 batteries 3 in parallel X 4 in serial = 6 volts, the LEDs i"m using are SMD 5 in series X 4 in parallel.
The groupe LEDs require 15 volts (3 v each), i think 30 mA each will do.

Anyway, my question is this:
How could I used a Joule Thief (to deplete all the juice from the batteries) in my circuit in order to feed properly power to the DC boot converter (that needs at least 5 volts). The JT will get 6 volts from the battery bank. Is there a way to make this idea work?
AND,if is not much to ask, will be nice to have a alert to know the batteries are really dead. Is there a material that could change color when current will flow thru it?. That way will not required any power as an LED will need to tell that batteries a going down.

The DC convertor is the XL6009 DC-DC and the PIR is HC-SR501 the LED are recycled from LED light bulb they are SMD 5050
Anyway, any help will be appreciated.
Thank you very much for your time.