Autocad question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RG23, Apr 24, 2015.

1. RG23

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I am trying to create drawings for some tools in machine shop using Autocad.

I am having problems in taking the accurate measurements of tools using calipers.

Is there any tutorial which can be helpful to learn how to measure complex tools dimensions and then how to draw the same in Autocad?

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I had to go to the Community College and take the introductory course in metal shop to learn it. I've never seen an online tutorial for that stuff, but maybe somebody else has. It was a bit weird being the only graduate engineer in the class.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Not to sure what you mean? If by calipers you mean the modern micrometer sliding type with display then you just transfer the value to a Autocad drawing, Autocad drawings are generally drawn full scale.
    There generally is no need to scale, only when it comes to plot of course, is a paper size required.
    I have used Autocad since its DOS origins.
    Is it tools or tooling that you are measuring?
    Max.

4. RG23

Dec 6, 2010
    The tools are quite complex with the bend cut portions, etc. I am not sure if I made my question clear to you.

I mean there are sections in the tool which I am finding difficult to measure with digital caliper.

I looked online trying to find some videos or tutorials but did not get the required reference.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You would need to post a pic or photo of an example?
    And are you drawing 2d or 3d drawings?
    Max.

6. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    Is this maybe what you are looking for? This type of caliper or am I on the wrong page??

7. RG23

Dec 6, 2010
    i do not have picture right now and its in 2d.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Such measurements of complex shapes are often done using a surface plate as a reference plane. There are various tools that slide on the plate and can be used to get elevations. Radius's and angles can be a pita. Small holes can also be difficult. There are plug and hole gauges. Some can be quite expensive, but the expanding ball type, which you then read with a micrometer will often suffice.

John

cmartinez likes this.
  9. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I've been using AutoCAD for more than 25 years, and at one point I became an expert draftsman and programmer. I still program it in LISP and like to customize it to my personal tastes. In fact, I even prefer to draw all of my PCBs in it... which is probably a bad practice since there is much better software (even freeware) out there for this sort of task.
    Anyway, regarding your question, you may want to consider using a scanner and even telecentric photography that you could later import into AutoCAD and draw over when dealing with complex shapes... the limiting factor would be the maximum dimensions of the original object that you're trying to model and replicate. You'd be surprised at the degree of accuracy that you could reach if you were to combine physical measurements with overlay graphic approximation.