Auto Washing Machine for FPGA (VHDL Codes)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vincelimch, Aug 5, 2008.

1. vincelimch

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    i'm a new member for this website! nice to meet you all at here! I'm doing my degree of electronic course and looking for my final year project which named Auto Washing Machine for FPGA (VHDL Codes)!

i'm now headache for the shcematic diagram, truth tables, and VHDL source codes! Can someone help me to provide any imformation so that i can solve my project now! or someone give me some ideas to design this project ! Your help will be appreciated forever and ever!!

pLS help! urgently........

2. roddefig

Apr 29, 2008
    What are the requirements of your design?

3. vincelimch

Sep 25, 2007
    is a simple CPU concept

it required , storage, ALU, FSM, and so on...

i have no idea to design since i fresh to this title

4. roddefig

Apr 29, 2008
    Ok. I'm more interested in what you need the design to do. What does the washing machine do?

5. vincelimch

Sep 25, 2007
    just wan to show a basic output! it can be :

must have some counter to count timing, trigger motor to spin, LEDs, or seven segments display!

the vhdl program will download to Altera UP3 board (acts as FPGA) to do the all input output and wiring connections!

hopefully someone can give the guide now! i needing some information to do the proposal!

6. roddefig

Apr 29, 2008
    Do remember that we are all volunteers here who take time out of our day to help others. No one is required to help you and when we do we are doing you a favor.

It sounds like the simplest solution would be to write a state machine. I would start by defining what the states will be, their outputs, and the transitions between them. For instance, you could have a start state that monitors a start button, once the button is pressed we initialize the counter and start the motor, then a state that monitors the counter and updates the display..., you get the idea.

Then, write the software to interface with your peripherals (e.g. your motor, the seven segment display, and the buttons) and the timer. Finally, write the state machine to link them all together.

I wrote a simplistic example of a state machine in Verilog in a different thread. You can use it as a reference if you like. See [post]82546[/post]

7. vincelimch

Sep 25, 2007
    thx a lot for your help!

actually i needing a flow to design the washing machince controller!

EXP: Design a 4 bits register
    the 4 bits register can form by 4 units of D flip flop!

so i just want to know to design a washing machine controller (CPU) by VHDL, should have what elements there? if i got the image about the flow then i can write the codes by myself! Be honest, my digital not strong also!

8. roddefig

Apr 29, 2008
    Well, I don't know VHDL, only Verilog. So I can just give you the general idea. But, as I said before, I would start by drawing out the state machine that will control the washer.

Then, I would write the logic to interface with the peripherals. You shouldn't need to do anything for buttons or simple LEDs. For the seven-segment display, I would write a piece of logic that will display an input binary value. That way, you can output the value of the timer to the display. I can't help you on the motor without knowing more about how you plan to connect it to the FPGA. But, if you can help it, I wouldn't bother with a real motor for now, a simple LED can be used to indicate motor off or on. The timer can be a simple down counter. I would divide down the clock to something reasonable, first.

Finally, you can write the state machine and bring everything together.

9. vincelimch

Sep 25, 2007

i dont know how to say a word now... just can say really thank you since u willing to help me !

Mind to gv me your skype or MSN ID?

my MSN : vincelimch@hotmail.com

10. roddefig

Apr 29, 2008
    You're welcome. I have neither Skype nor MSN, but I'm happy to help you through the forum.

11. vincelimch

Sep 25, 2007
    haha... then ok.... we communicate each other via this forum then

12. polus

Jul 12, 2008
    Think of everything a user wants todo with a washing machine.
    Think of everything a washing machine does during a given cycle.
    Think of the order it does it in.
    Think of all the requirements to those tasks.

Maybe you could even find a washing machine and list the above.

Once you know EXACTLY what you want todo, implementing it will be easy via any of the gazillion VHDL tutorials online.

Then I suggest; you do your own homework.

:)