Auto spell and grammar check programs. What, why, how and by who's authority?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tcmtech, Sep 20, 2016.

1. tcmtech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Anyone else seeing a noticeable step up in these programs taking over your typing?

It driving me nuts. For the longest time they were content contestant to just underline or highlight a misspelled or misused word world but lately I am seeing they replace properly spelled and consensually correct words with the wrong ones and even delete a word or several in a row for no reason.

It's not just with me here either Heather. I see it all over the internet now in so many peoples posts and even many news and informational articles too.

Whats going on? Anyone Andy won know?

*Red words are ones that got rewritten into the Blue words for no reason while typing this post.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I welcome spellcheckers as often I will miss-type/miss-spell a word, but it helps certainly if you recognize your error, I don't really see the type of thing you are referring to and don't remember ever experiencing it?
    Maybe mine is a different spellchecker?
    Max.

cmartinez likes this.
  3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Did you do that on a so-called smart phone?

ronv likes this.
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Just FYI, in my part of America, "miss-spell" is not the feminine version of mr-spell. You probably mean misspell.

John

atferrari likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    What is this thing that pretends to read your mind and finishes your sentences for you?
    (I thought the wife left.:confused:)

I, "opt out" of any and all auto-correct/ auto-complete/ auto suggest programs.
    This computer has been doing something that uses 50% of its CPU for months, but I just find what's running and shut it off so the CPU can work for my purposes instead of whatever it's been doing. I expect nobody can do that in Windows 10, but I'll either kill it like the Tire Pressure Monitor on my car or I'll quit using Windows.

Sinus23 and DGElder like this.
  6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The "auto setting" that really bugs me is for emoticons (emoji's). A few days ago I was trying to type f(x). I had to go to the internet to avoid getting an emoji for a girl with pigtails. Anyway, I do appreciate spellcheckers. I do wish they were more technically oriented.

John

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    "autocomplete" You probably want to use the "G" setting here.

John

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You misunderstood. The auto-complete must be installed in something, otherwise he could just quit picking up the auto-complete and trying to type into AAC with it.

9. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    It seems to have the moral code of a pious Boy Scout as well.
    Trying to use cuss words requires a deliberate effort in foiling the modest sensibility of that AI spawn of Meriam Webster.

Damn my eyes to HELL... :)

10. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    With the viral growth of autocorrect features, so that practically each app has its own, it is more difficult to type a long dissertation and have to correct the autocorrections. I would find it easier to find and correct a few errors.

11. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I don't have a phone of any kind that not attached to my wall at home. Everything I do online is either PC or laptop based.

I'm running the Google one now. I had the Grammarly one before but I got hating it with a passion. It was too fussy aobut everything and on some forums would wipe out entire posts at random or jump to whole new unrelated web pages if a wrong key or combination was done. I never figured it out but the kitties could walk across a keyboard and trigger it almost every time.

The biggest annoyance is the rather randomness of the what and when it decides to replace words or just delete them. That's what is driving me nuts.

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I just add them to Dictionary when prompted they are misspelled.
    Max.

shortbus and ronv like this.
  13. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I'd like to know how a person gets into their dictionary file and toss a bunch of words out so it can't use them for suggestions or auto correct actions.

14. boatsman

Jan 17, 2008
    I know how you feel. I get the same feeling when I type in English and the computer corrects the text to colonial English.

justtrying and shortbus like this.
  15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    If it weren't for that feature, my posts would betray the true level of my English skills :oops::D

Sinus23 and atferrari like this.
  16. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    The best "smart phone" interpretation was when a friend of mine used the voice to text feature.

He received a text from a friend who asked where he was. He stated "I'm at water hole." Well, after he sent the text he read what he actually sent. It was "I'm at work ho." Good thing it wasn't a text to his wife. :)

17. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Sanen heur. (Same here.) :oops:

cmartinez likes this.
  18. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007

JoeJester likes this.
  19. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I see. I'm not being racist enough. :oops:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I think this means you have an option to not use the auto-correct program.

Something about Firefox checks my spelling, but it doesn't replace words. It just puts a red squiggle under them.
    Right-click to add words to the alleged dictionary. Works pretty good, except some proper words include, n yo m em and some improper words include contactor and resistor.:confused: