Auto-Sensing A/V switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Krum110487, May 9, 2013.

1. Krum110487

Thread Starter New Member

May 9, 2013
    First off, I am a programmer at heart and a novice when it comes to electronics, I can solder fairly well, I know logic gates. I am looking to start working on more electronics. I have done a couple starter projects, but I don't know much, it was mostly monkey-see monkey-do work.

I figured it would be best to start simple and I figured since an A/V switch is so simple, an auto-sensing one wouldn't be TOO hard. :rolleyes:

So I have found MANY different tutorials on how to make an A/V switch, but none with auto-sensing (auto-switching), I am lost as to how it would even be done or how much degradation would occur and how to prevent degradation. My goal right now is to get a circuit created (hopefully with some guidance of the good people here) that auto switches between 2 A/V inputs (which I plan to expand to more).

In the future I want to make adding ports "modular" and expandable to easily upgrade to more ports by "plugging-in" another module.

Now that you know my plan, let me ask the first question, where would I start? I don't even know what components I would use to sense it or the idea behind "sensing" a signal for video input. Any information is appreciated, and I will happily draw up what I think the circuit should look like once I get a bit more information.

thanks.

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  3. Krum110487

May 9, 2013
    perfect, I forgot to mention I was working with composite, I am curious if anyone out there has used one of these chips and the quality of them, it seems to be that the samsung one is "better" from what little I understand, I am looking for the best quality for video possible.

right now I am only doing 2 inputs for my soon to be breadboard prototype, if I were to get lets say 12 (48 inputs) would I need 5 more chips to select the signal down to one?

or could all of the outputs "share" the same output line with a diode on each line, since this will only be used as a "one at a time" switch and no always-on devices.

I am going to work on a schematic (probably a terribly broken one) and post it on here asap.

Thanks.

4. Krum110487

May 9, 2013
    I didn't want to double post, but I couldn't find an edit button on my post.

I like the samsung chip, although it seems that it doesn't allow for more than 2 s-video inputs, which will be fine for testing, but I need a 4 way (or more) switch with s-video as an availability for each one.

I tried searching around a bit, but with no luck, am I just reading the diagram wrong?

5. Krum110487

May 9, 2013
    I went ahead and built a beginning circuit, it is my first circuit, as you will be able to tell. I am most likely missing a couple resistors and/or diodes, but I think you will get the idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

https://www.circuitlab.com/editor/#?id=bhtr22

if anyone could take a quick look and give me any problems there may be.

also the picaxe chip is only a placeholder, I want it to be a chip where I can read in up to 7 lines of data and send data to the FMS6501 chip I am working on, (3 ouputs). for now it has only 3 inputs, 01, 10, 11.

any input is appreciated, thanks!