auto reset timer SHAME ON YOU

JeffS

Joined Jan 9, 2013
Well it would seen that even though I removed all referance to the transformer-less part of the circuit it has been once again removed.

I find this rather childish, as for the threats to ban me, even more pathetic.

I am sorry that I missed the bit about transformerless circuits being taboo, however I removed that and the circuit was just a general low current circuit question.

Are you saying that because I referred to the thing that should not be mentioned, I can not pose other parts of the circuit that are not?

If that is the case then shame on you, and I want no part of this dictatorial forum, beside the fact that it is obviously for children who are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Pathetic :(

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Well it would seen that even though I removed all referance to the transformer-less part of the circuit it has been once again removed.

I find this rather childish, as for the threats to ban me, even more pathetic.

I am sorry that I missed the bit about transformerless circuits being taboo, however I removed that and the circuit was just a general low current circuit question.

Are you saying that because I referred to the thing that should not be mentioned, I can not pose other parts of the circuit that are not?

If that is the case then shame on you, and I want no part of this dictatorial forum, beside the fact that it is obviously for children who are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Pathetic :(
Well, it was nice.... almost knowing you...?

Anyway, the talk of transformerless power supplies are indeed forbidden, why should we allow talk of a circuit that is supposed to work on it? You are obviously going to try to use this circuit with a transformerless power supply, once(if) you get an answer, and possibly maim yourself in the process.

We don't want to encourage people to get a Darwin award...

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
I'm new to the fourm and was looking for an answer to a previous question that I asked when I came across this thread. I dont know what a transformerless power supply is ....or how to build one.....but....I can tell from the ebook developer's comments above that if you built such a thing that it may be possible to hurt yourself.
I'm getting a bad feeling about the possibility of someone being banned for talking about a subject.
I was just wondering cause I cant find any rules.....
Are there other electrical/ electronic things that we are not supposed to talk about on this forum?
I enjoy the forum and dont want to break a rule.
Is there a list of things we cant mention?
No disrespect intended.
D.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'm new to the fourm and was looking for an answer to a previous question that I asked when I came across this thread. I dont know what a transformerless power supply is ....or how to build one.....but....I can tell from the ebook developer's comments above that if you built such a thing that it may be possible to hurt yourself.
I'm getting a bad feeling about the possibility of someone being banned for talking about a subject.
I was just wondering cause I cant find any rules.....
Are there other electrical/ electronic things that we are not supposed to talk about on this forum?
I enjoy the forum and dont want to break a rule.
Is there a list of things we cant mention?
No disrespect intended.
D.
It's in the Terms of Service you agreed to when you made an account, located at the bottom of every page.;)

By the way, a ban is only a last resort. The moderators here are nice, but if someone reposts the information and complains about the thread being closed, they will most likely be met with threat of a ban.

So, stick to the rules and you are good!:D

JeffS

Joined Jan 9, 2013
A forum is a place where you share and discuss ideas, ways of doing things EVEN those that you might NOT agree with. That is the nature of an open, fair and unbiased discussion medium. Anything else is just someone else's idea of the way things should be, and therefore by definition, not a forum.

If you feel that transformer-less PSU is unsafe to work on and may cause harm, then you would have to do the same for any mains fired device, a domestic stove, fridge, kettle, iron, wall outlet etc etc.

If you are not capable of working on such devices you should certainly not be allowed to offer advice on a public forum that talks about heavy and light current circuits.

You are more likely to get someone killed by offering advice on how to rewire his stove that is rated in excess of 20A, than how to build a transformer-less PSU that is limited to much less than 0.5A

To all that are happy to be dictated to and told what to think and say, I say!

Grow a "pair"

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
A forum is a place where you share and discuss ideas, ways of doing things EVEN those that you might NOT agree with. That is the nature of an open, fair and unbiased discussion medium. Anything else is just someone else's idea of the way things should be, and therefore by definition, not a forum.

If you feel that transformer-less PSU is unsafe to work on and may cause harm, then you would have to do the same for any mains fired device, a domestic stove, fridge, kettle, iron, wall outlet etc etc.

If you are not capable of working on such devices you should certainly not be allowed to offer advice on a public forum that talks about heavy and light current circuits.

You are more likely to get someone killed by offering advice on how to rewire his stove that is rated in excess of 20A, than how to build a transformer-less PSU that is limited to much less than 0.5A

To all that are happy to be dictated to and told what to think and say, I say!

Grow a "pair"
Remember, you've agreed to be bound by these terms, just as the rest of us, you don't like it, there's the (metaphorical) door.

Just because we agreed to not discuss certain topics does not mean that we do not do so aside from the forum.

This is a free site, until I see you shelling out the cash to pay for a service here, you keep your testicles to yourself!:D

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I'm new to the fourm and was looking for an answer to a previous question that I asked when I came across this thread. I dont know what a transformerless power supply is ...
I enjoy the forum and dont want to break a rule. ...
It is commendable of you to ask about this, with a desire to not break the rules.

A "transformerless" power supply is one which tries to produce a voltage (generally a low voltage) straight from the AC mains. Generally people might task about running a LED light, or a computer chip etc, straight from the AC mains by dropping the voltage with a resistor or capacitor.

As you know, the AC mains is very dangerous if touched and is not something for beginners to be messing with!

So to SAFELY get a low voltage to light a LED or run an IC, it is important to use a transformer to both reduce the voltage from the AC mains and importantly to ISOLATE it so when the user touches something in the low voltage circuit they are NOT touching any part of the AC mains.

If you are worried about posting something that might break the "transformerless" safety rules you could ask about that in your post. :)

JeffS

Joined Jan 9, 2013
That's my point you pompous prick @tshuck who claims to come from a country that supports free speech.

I have no problem with NOT discussing certain subjects as specified by the moderators of the forum.

I made a mistake on my FIRST post as a new comer to the forum, which was pointed out to me by a moderator, who closed the post.

I accepted that without any comment, I removed any reference to the un-allowed subject and then reposted a question that DID fall within the acceptable subjects.

The fact that it was AGAIN closed purely on the fact that the moderator had knowledge that I might in fact use something THEY deemed unacceptable, even though there was no mention of it in my repost is completely and utterly unacceptable and pathetic.

That is what I have a problem with, I do NOT have a problem with following the rules!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The fact that it was AGAIN closed purely on the fact that the moderator had knowledge that I might in fact use something THEY deemed unacceptable, even though there was no mention of it in my repost is completely and utterly unacceptable and pathetic.
It is neither. The mods have a job to do, and the safety of visitors here is probably their top priority. The Terms of Service were created to help them, by specifically laying out the topics that will always be forbidden.

But the ToS cannot be so detailed that every situation is anticipated and covered. The mods have to apply judgment. Just like any human judgment, their decisions and rulings may seem arbitrary, confusing and just plain wrong at times. The mods would likely concede that they are indeed merely human.

By participating here we have all agreed to live by the rules, and that includes accepting the rulings of the judges, the mods. It's their game.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Complete drivel. Whoever said the goals are to be "open, fair and unbiased"?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
That's my point you pompous prick @tshuck who claims to come from a country that supports free speech.

I have no problem with NOT discussing certain subjects as specified by the moderators of the forum.

I made a mistake on my FIRST post as a new comer to the forum, which was pointed out to me by a moderator, who closed the post.

I accepted that without any comment, I removed any reference to the un-allowed subject and then reposted a question that DID fall within the acceptable subjects.

That is what I have a problem with, I do NOT have a problem with following the rules!
Well, you've shown your true colors. Here we are discussing the matter and you continually resort to derogatory statements. How childish.

If the topic is forbidden, why should they let you talk about something you've already demonstrated is part of a circuit utilizing a transformer-less power supply? You seem unable to grasp this concept for some reason.

If you are now bringing up the country I am from, I'm not sure you even know the point you are trying to make.

The rules state that the moderator's actions shall not be questioned, so, if you are able to follow rules, why are you still talking?

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Although I will obey the rules ...because I agreed to them....(nobody asked me .but).......I'm leaning toward agreeing with Jeff (banned)...at least in what he's trying to say......
But you are right ...Jeff DID agree to not talk about anything that may be dangerous to build, etc.
I saw that in the rules.
But you have a long disclaimer that would hold you harmless to some extent.
Of course you can never protect yourself from someone taking legal action against you for giving advice ....even with a disclaimer.....so you have to kinda "go overboard in the rules"...
And ,of course, you may feel that you have a moral duty to protect your members.I would think that way too....
It seemd to me, being new as I am to the forum..... that there are a lot of things that you guys talk about that could hurt you.
This reminds me of not being able to say the word "bomb" in casual conversation on an airplane without fear of being arrested...Of course that is not the case....but this transformerless thing brings that to mind.
Now..you cant yell FIRE in a crowed theater or yell "He's got a Bomb" on the plane without some repercusions....

I think I'm gonna say that your rule inhibits free discussion of a lot of things that we can learn about.
But....this is YOUR site and those are YOUR rules and I bow to your creating this site and administering it.
No disrespect intended but I agree that Jeff does need to lighten up in his language.
But I still think he has a point.
Thank you and all for the help you have given me on my questons.
This site much needed and appreciated.
D.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Sorry....from the last post ....I see that the moderators have final say.....
I did not mean to perpetuate this discussion.
Wont do it again....
my apologizes
D.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I think most people have a similar sentiment to what had been expressed in this thread, however, no active member of the forum owns the site, not even the moderators. The mods are just people that enjoy this site and want to see it thrive. They are obligated, as being moderators, to uphold the rules put forth by the owners of the site.

You own the site, you make the rules. Until then, slightly restrictive discussion is a small price to pay.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
dthx,

One of the problems is we don't know who the person is typing the information. Granted we can assume some things from their questions, on whether they are students or not, and at times, their level of expertise. Since we are never 100 percent sure about their abilities, it was decided not to violate any safety issues, from automotive stuff, to working directly with the mains.

Free speech is not the issue. There are other forums that allow the topics that are banned here and no one is required to spend time in any forums, even AAC. I've seen some members here on other electronic forums that do allow such topics. If they can remember where they are with respect to those topics, so can everyone else. The moderators volunteer their time and do an excellent job of maintaining the user agreement or terms of service.

I tend to believe JeffS's persistence in keeping a banned topic alive correlates highly with his banishment. I'm also certain that his vitriol language towards other members hastened his departure.

The all important question is "why do people come here?" This site must be doing something right to maintain a high ranking in the internet world.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

There is no free speech in a private venue. Owners of the venue have a right to set rules on the limits of your speech.

And yeah you do have a problem with following rules. Just accept that as they are or go out and spend the cash for your own forum, then you can set any rules that you want.

The moderators and forum owners have always been very open to suggestions. While I doubt they would budge on this particular rule change, you certainly aren't going to get them to change it with your immature attitude.

You need to start growing up.