Auto electronic dash cluster flashes and some things dont work right

obdshawn

Joined Oct 20, 2014
i have a 87 lincoln with 75000 miles my elsctronic dash or cluster some of the things arent working any one know where or what i can do to fix the problem...the dealer wants too much money to look at it,,,the gas gage works but the temp gage works sorta also the speedomiter you cant see how fast you are going a five looks like a 4 and a 7 looks like a one

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
Sounds like some of your digital display has crapped out. I think your best bet would be to look for a replacement instrument cluster. If nothing was working I'd suspect it was a power supply problem, but since some of the cluster is operating it seems like that isn't it. The cluster isn't all that hard to replace I've been told. Here is a thread with pics of a 1987 Lincoln Continental cluster so you can see how it's put together. Not sure what model lincoln you have, but if not a Continental it still should be similar. Folks on that site might be able to better assist you also. They may have a better handle on this particular issue.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...strument-Cluster-for-1987-Lincoln-Continental

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Since the display is flashing occasionally, I would assume a loose connection. That big 18 pin connector in the upper left of the middle photo from the Lincoln forum would be the first place to look. Most everything else is well attached to a pcb and will be unlikely to flicker.

PowerTrip

Joined Oct 22, 2014
i have a 87 lincoln with 75000 miles my elsctronic dash or cluster some of the things arent working any one know where or what i can do to fix the problem...the dealer wants too much money to look at it,,,the gas gage works but the temp gage works sorta also the speedomiter you cant see how fast you are going a five looks like a 4 and a 7 looks like a one
This is an Electronics site and not an Electrician site no?

IamJatinah

Joined Oct 22, 2014
I have seen this in other clusters. Remove cluster, carefully remove shield, then pcb. You should see "tabs" that drive meters and gauges which are making bad contact, along with checking for cracked solder joints where the cluster connector meets the pcb. Hope this helps.