Auto Attenuator design

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by second_ed, Dec 5, 2011.

1. second_ed

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I need to design a auto attenuator. I will appreciate any tips, here are details/requirements

a previously designed system can take a maximum voltage of 10V rms. signal going in to the system can go beyond 10 V at certain points. So this attenuator has to attenuate the signal, independent of frequency,without distortion, when ever the signal is over 10 v.

2. tommydyhr

Feb 3, 2009
    This very well explained circuit should most likely suit your needs: http://sound.westhost.com/project53.htm . It's designed to be inserted in line with your audio signal. It delivers very low distortion levels, with it's use of a LDR as it's gain control element.

Edit: I may have misunderstood the topic. This circuit serves to limit the output of an audio amplifier by compressing the signal.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    second_ed likes this.
  3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    You need an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit. A low distortion AGC can be built using an analog multiplier. Google "AGC Circuit" and you will get many hits.

second_ed likes this.
  4. second_ed

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 5, 2011
    crutschow:I tried using AGC; but I do not want to amplify the low voltages; just attenuate whenever the signal in to the system is too high;
    tommydyhr: I looked at the circuit suggested; it sounds promising but need to do little more research for parts and such;

thanks

5. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Ummm...the act of dynamically attenuating the signal is non-linear through time. Therefore, distortion *will* be introduced! The faster the rate-of-change of attenuation, the more distortion. Not sure if this is important, just thought I'd point it out...

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Then you put a threshold on the AGC control voltage so that is provides no control (constant gain of 1) until the input voltage nears 10V. That could be done with a comparator on the input to detect when the reaches 10V. When it reaches 10V then you turn on the AGC control. The trick is to get a smooth transition from below 10V to above 10V input.