Audio - Split and adjust only one output

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by andyhof, Mar 18, 2016.

1. andyhof

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Totally noob here, so please be patient ! But you guys have been helpful before so here goes:

I am looking at creating a splitter box for an unbalanced line level audio signal.

organ rotary signal (+) ~4dBu
    audio ground (-)

I would like to split the 1 signal into two separate outputs.

One separate output would continue unchanged to organ speaker/amp.
    I would like the 2nd output to be controlled to vary its output (decrease) before it reaches the speaker/amp.

So, in theory, I would like one input, two outs, with a volume pot on one output

I understand (or have been told) that this cannot be done passively.

Is there a simple circuit i can put together to accomplish this?

I'm open to learning and welcome any suggestions.

thanks
    Andrew

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    A volume control feeding the second amplifier will do, i take it there are two separate amps?

3. andyhof

Jun 22, 2011
    Yes 2 separate amps.

I was told that it's not that simple and that I would need to build a buffer

2 separate amps

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You can use an op amp as a unity gain buffer, dead easy.

5. andyhof

Jun 22, 2011
    Dead easy I like

But since this is new to me..
    I need the circuit spelled out

Should we continue off list in email so others don't get bored?

6. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012

This
    is the simple buffer circuit, you put the input to the volume control wiper and the signal is altered.

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I see no particular reason for the buffer amp, unless the reduced output is driving a long cable.
    Just run the signal directly to the non-altered output and use a pot for the second output (a 10kΩ or so pot should work).

8. andyhof

Jun 22, 2011
    So, if i make a "daisy chain" splitter, and use a pot for the second output, that simple?

9. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    It can be. Here is a seat of the pants method for thinking about the voltages and components.

If the audio source has a relatively low output impedance, and both amps have relatively high output impedances, then you can run the audio directly to amp #1, and through a simple volume control to amp #1. For example, if the source is an electronic circuit such as an opamp output stage with a 100 ohm series resistor to prevent damage from accidental short circuits as things are plugged and unplugged, then the output impedance is 100 ohms. If the input impedance to amp #1 is 100 K, then when it is connected the source voltage decreases 0.1%, trivial. If you also connect a 10K pot, then the source decreases 1%, barely noticeable. The worst case output impedance of a 10K pot is 5K, and amp #2 has that 100 K input impedance, so at 50% rotation (assuming a linear pot, which you would *not * use but it makes the math easier), the input to amp #2 will be 5% lower than the actual 50% audio voltage. But you don't care about that because it is an adjustable attenuator on purpose, so you turn it up a tiny bit to compensate.

A voltage follower buffer or two make the two outputs absolutely independent, but there is no reason (yet) to make that your starting point.

ak