Audio signal to frames

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Pragathi, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Pragathi

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Hi..I am a beginner in Matlab so can anyone tell me how to convert audio signal into frames ?? And is there any restriction like we have to use mp3 ,speech or music only???

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Why? How would you define an audio "frame"?

Digital audio is sampled at high (above hearing range) frequency. Each sample might be called a frame, analogous to a film frame.

3. Pragathi

Feb 26, 2015
    Thanks for your reply wayneh
    Its for my project, first step is i have to convert audio signal into frames

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    That doesn't answer the question. Why do you want frames, and how are you defining an audio "frame"? Are you synching audio with video frames?

Audio is not normally processed in frames, as video is. In video and film, a frame is a snapshot. Showing many snapshots per second fools the human brain into seeing a continuous picture. Sound doesn't work that way.

I'm assuming this is homework?

alfacliff likes this.
  5. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
    One of these things is not like the others.

I'm not certain but I doubt Matlab can use MP3 files, probably have to be WAV or other uncompressed format. The speech/music question seems like it should be given to you as part of your project requirements if it matters.

6. Pragathi

Feb 26, 2015
    I am doing a project on audiowatermarking so i first have to convert audio signal to frames and then using an algorithm i have to insert the watermark

7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What is a "frame"?

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  9. planeguy67

Jan 29, 2015
    I thought mp3's were constructed in frames. IOW, instead of time-based audio, like a music compact disc, an MP3 frame contains frequency-based data. The frame rate is played back at around 38 FPS for audio resynthesis.

Still black magic to me.

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Could well be. We're still waiting for the TS to clarify the homework problem.