Audio Sequencer Circuit

DanRilley

Joined Jan 13, 2008
I added a .1uF bypass cap on the 4017 and it seems to last longer before it gets stuck now. Is there a way to add a cap to the reset pin to assure it stays low from noise?

DanRilley

Joined Jan 13, 2008
I tried connecting a 10K resistor from Reset to Ground. And Then a 22uF cap from Reset to VCC. It definitely lasts a lot longer now like 20 seconds before it stops working. Is that how it should be hooked up, or do I not hook the Cap to the reset as well? What are the chances I have a bad chip? It doesn't seem like anyone else has to go to these ends to get to to function.

DanRilley

Joined Jan 13, 2008
The weird thing is that it always works right when I plug in the power. Then stops working X amount of seconds after. Can I just mimick that moment that the power is being turned on somehow with components?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No, you should not have the 22uF cap from Reset to Vcc - just the 10k resistor to ground.

Putting the 22uF cap from reset to Vcc will couple ANY noise that happens to be on Vcc to the reset line.

If you wish, you could put a very small cap (0.1uF or smaller) from the reset line to GND.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You might have a heating problem. If you're trying to draw too much current from the 4017, that will cause the IC to rapidly overheat and malfunction.

Find out what is drawing too much current.

DanRilley

Joined Jan 13, 2008
Hey, I changed the chip (thankfully I had bought 2) and put it in using a DIP socket instead and now its working fine! I must have overheated the other one with my shaky hand soldering. That was a lot easier than having to rework the design, sorry that took me so long to figure out, but unsoldering 16 pins was the last thing I wanted to do.

Thanks again.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, they're really easy to overheat. Drinking coffee + soldering = trouble! :eek:

You don't want to solder pins in sequence, either. If you skip 4 or 5 pins over, you'll give the other area of the IC a chance to cool back down. For a 16 pin IC, my soldering sequence might go 1, 5, 10, 15, 2, 6, 11, 16, 3... etc. You can still go pretty fast, but your risk of overheating one section of an IC is reduced quite a bit.

DanRilley

Joined Jan 13, 2008
I finally got this project done last month, just posting a video of the final product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niaV6dOFYnY

I'd like to thank the people on this forum who really helped out a lot and helped me to complete my first real electronics project. It basically is a lo-fi sequencer that uses a 555 or external clock to run a divider sequencer circuit. The sequencer triggers audio samples that can be recorded one by one through a line in/rotary switch. Everything then runs through a basic mixer/amplifier circuit then out to a line out. I realized having 10 units of anything turns into a headache really fast because of all the wiring, but I'm glad I'm done.

Also realized I need to work on my drilling skillz!

It's a little tough on the ears but fun to play with. I was also able to make a really quick tap-tempo box with an arduino chip.

shimshon

Joined Jul 20, 2008
dan, the sequencer looks great. i'm planning to build a 16-step sequencer that triggers external circuits rather than internal like yours. would you mind uploading the schematic you used for the tap tempo function?