Audio range

aamirali

Joined Feb 2, 2012
Audio range is 20K-20Khz. Any freq b/w this I can hear right.

If in MCU I toggle a pin in this range will I hear any sound.

Stupid question it is. but haven't tried it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Depends on what the pin is connected to. If it is not connected to any thing then you won't hear anything. If it is connected to a speaker or a piezo transducer then you will hear sound. The sound of a square wave is actually kind of harsh. The original PC had a speaker for clicks and beeps.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Not really. At low frequencies below about 50 hz, the primary method of sound transmission is bone conduction. You FEEL that sound more than hear it.

Most speakers (even expensive ones) don't reproduce sound much below about 35 - 40 Hz area.

Marc0

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Not really. At low frequencies below about 50 hz, the primary method of sound transmission is bone conduction. You FEEL that sound more than hear it.

Most speakers (even expensive ones) don't reproduce sound much below about 35 - 40 Hz area.
Yeah, and the 20kHz side of the spectrum goes down with the age...A middle aged man usually cannot hear anything above 14/15kHz.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009

If in MCU I toggle a pin in this range will I hear any sound.

Stupid question it is. but haven't tried it.
20 Hz to 20 kHz.

You could hear something if you use a coupling capacitor from the MCU pin to the "Line" input of your stereo system. The square wave is rich in harmonics, so even if you start with 20Hz, you will hear all the odd harmonics (60Hz, 100Hz, 140Hz, ...).

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yeah, and the 20kHz side of the spectrum goes down with the age...A middle aged man usually cannot hear anything above 14/15kHz.
If he's lucky. I checked mine at age 42 and was hearing up to 8KHz in one ear and about 10kHz in the other. Ironically, the high pitched whine I hear all the time is at about 10kHz being "heard" in the ear that can no longer hear that high. Old age can be cruel.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Many cheap speakers cannot produce sounds below 100Hz nor above 6kHz.
People who experienced loud noise hearing damage from guns or a nearby rock band cannot hear high audio frequencies.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sometimes neither. My hearing loss is 70dB in one ear from an acoustic neuroma called vestibular schwannoma. My other ear is not much better and I cannot hear anything much above 3kHz.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
People who experienced loud noise hearing damage from guns or a nearby rock band cannot hear high audio frequencies.
Or worse yet: played drums in a band in high school and then rode a motorcycle for 30 years. It's amazing how the helmet wind noise from riding really does it. Don't know how loud it is but it must be pretty loud.