Audio Processing CPLD

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by DrNick, Dec 21, 2008.

1. DrNick

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Hello,

I am thinking of doing an audio processing project using (a) xilinx CPLD(s). I thought a good stepping stone would be to make a simple board that can take an audio input, record it and play it back.

Would it be possible to just take the ADC input and put it in to a barrel shifter and continually loop it back to DAC, or would a memory interface be required in addition to ADC and DAC interfaces?

Thanks for any advise..

2. DrNick

Dec 13, 2006
    So no one has used a CPLD for simple audio processing/recording?

3. khilo08

Dec 21, 2008
    Hi DrNick,
    can you tell me for what reason you want to use that barrel shifter???
    and can you give us more details about what you want to do? at least block diagram or why not your planned circuit diagrams, can you?

Cheers

4. DrNick

Dec 13, 2006
    I think that the barrel shifter actually won't work. What I want to do is be able to buffer audio through the system until a logic signal is set high. Once this signal is set high I want to replay the last few seconds of audio that have been buffered through the system. I am thinking of using a couple of other ADC channels to have voltage controlled sampling rates. If I used a barrel shifter I would need ALOT of bytes in order to store even a second of audio (if it is sampled at a few kHz). I will put together a block diagram later today so you can get a better picture of what I am trying to accomplish.

5. khilo08

Dec 21, 2008
    ok, waiting for your block diagram !!!

6. khilo08

Dec 21, 2008
    but can I ask you something, why don't you use FPGA instead of CPLD? wouldn't that be more better? or do you have other reasons for that? But still didn't understand the whole process of your circuit, can you just give me a detailed description for the whole process, I mean how is it working?

Cheers