Audio Output Switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by camon, May 15, 2013.

1. camon

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Hi,

so I'm working on a project where I have a female jack 3.5mm that will output stereo sound. As input for my system I have two sources.

What I need is a switching mechanism for controlling which input will connect to the output.

Your help would be appreciated. I hope that you can understand what I'm saying.

BTW: I have some basic knowledge on electronics.

Thanks,
    Tiago

2. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    A double-pole double-throw switch?

“The better the question, the better the answer.”

3. camon

Feb 3, 2012
    Ok maybe I have to explain what I need this for. So ok I have a Arduino board, that operates differently according to which output I selected. For doing this I have a sliding switch tied to a arduino digital input (5v through the switch), so if it reads a HIGH (5v) it behaves in one way, that I will call of behavior A, but if it reads a LOW (not 5v) it behaves as B.

Your answer for controlling the output was a double-pole double-throw switch, sure i agree. But what I really want is to have only one switch that allows me at the same time to select the output and also tells the board in which mode it should operate.

EDIT: maybe I should use a 5v dc relay dpdt that will by using the 5v switch select the output channel. But I am afraid that it will cause interference on the audio signal?!

Thanks,
    Tiago

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Your question/statement was: "What I need is a switching mechanism for controlling which input will connect to the output." No further qualifications or information was provided. I answered based on that. I cannot read your mind. And that is why I also added "The better the question, the better the answer.” I could have tried to guess what you meant or really wanted to know but.... Oh Well!

5. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Double pole triple throw

6. camon

Feb 3, 2012
    I know I know, sorry, don't be mad at me :). I wasn't able to express myself very good it was after lunch I was sleepy

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Why would it cause interference? Just be sure to add a reverse biased diode across the relay coil to suppress the inductive transient and you should be fine.