Audio opamp question

stoppage

Joined Aug 29, 2013
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I'm looking for a tone control circuit based on the LM324 chip or at least on an op-amp that uses single-supply +15V., no negative rail, no „virtual earth“. Ive found plenty online using dual-supply rails, I want one that operates on +15V., 0Volt earth.
Also a question on the circuit in Attach.....does this circuit in itself attenuate the signal (i.e. op amp has no gain)?
If anybody can help here, much obliged, if not, don't suggest a Google search

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Also a question on the circuit in Attach.....does this circuit in itself attenuate the signal (i.e. op amp has no gain)?
Did you ever turn the BASS and TREBLE controls on your radio? What did that aural test equipment, your ears, tell you about the signal?

The posting sounds like a homework problem. That tone control is called a baxandall tone control.

What is the source of that circuit?

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would like to point out a different way to label the voltage supplies. You seem adamant about not using a virtual ground, but audio signals are always changing their voltage direction and you just can't get an op-amp to work without a reference point between its two supply terminals.

This one will still work with its labels changed (as well as a 741 op-amp can work) but the idea of a "split" supply is inescapable in one form or another.

As for gain, tone circuits always cause a loss of voltage and the op-amp is referred to as a tone recovery amp in this case. It doesn't recover tone, it recovers the original amplitude if it's designed correctly. Problem with me is that I can't tell if this one winds up with about the same amplitude of output as its input when the controls are set to mid-range. I will bet it has a loss if you turn both the controls down as far as they will go.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Here's an image from ESP on the baxandall tone control. The gain of the OP's circuit is different .... however, at mid-point the gain is 0 dB.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you are going to use an LM324 for audio signal processing you will need to stick needles in your ears to make sure your hearing is ruined because the LM324 is not an audio grade device.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I would like to point out a different way to label the voltage supplies. You seem adamant about not using a virtual ground, but audio signals are always changing their voltage direction and you just can't get an op-amp to work without a reference point between its two supply terminals.
+1 Just set up some kind of midpoint, even if it's just a Zener diode that isn't important. Capacitor couple the stages. A TL071 is a good choice.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I'm looking for a tone control circuit based on the LM324 chip or at least on an op-amp that uses single-supply +15V., no negative rail, no „virtual earth“. Ive found plenty online using dual-supply rails, I want one that operates on +15V., 0Volt earth.
If anybody can help here, much obliged, if not, don't suggest a Google search
The circuit has a "virtual ground" because the + input is tied at 1/2V through a resistive divider. The input is capacitor coupled so it should work. Using a 741 indicates the designer knows nothing about audio or the circuit is about 40 years old.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm not building a radio.
No, but the tone control works the same as you are working with an audio amplifier.

You should know the gain/loss question by drawing on your previous experience of twisting the bass and treble controls on a radio. A radio is probably your first experience with a bass and treble controls.

Other than the 741, the single supply circuit works fine. The 741's performance specifications included split supplies.

What OpAmp do you intend to use?

Last edited: