Audio Interface Converter Bypass

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Joster, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Joster

Thread Starter Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Is it possible to locate the output of the preamp an an audio interface to connect it to a different A/D converter. Or are there more complex ground looping and impedance issues here?
  2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    Do you think that all "audio interface" and "A/D converter" follow the same design?
  3. cornishlad

Jul 31, 2013
    gain is more likely an issue to check. A standalone mic pre-amp might have between 40 to 60 db gain and will bring the output up to line level,
    A standalone AD converter would I suppose (having never had one) expect the same level. The specs of the unit will tll you.
    The signal level at the point between the two in a integrated design could be quite different and you would need to make measurements.
    The final output stage of a modern pre-amp circuit is probably an op amp and I wouldn't have thought there will any impedance matching issues. If there are, they will be easily seen when making the connection.
    Ground loops are always a possibility when interconnecting audio equipment and the only thing you can do is try it. Then track done the cause if there is one.

blocco beat me to it ! But I didn't answer the first question. Of course it's possible to locate the point where they meet. Question is can you ?