Audio input for Spectrum Analyzer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dyeraaron, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dyeraaron

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    So, I've had the idea of building a spectrum analyzer for a final project ofr school, but in all my brainstorming and viewing recent schematics they have an audio input.....Ok where does this come from...what supplies the actual audio connection?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Choose your source - Ipod, tuner, CD player, audio output from a DVD player, audio output from a TV, any line out from an integrated amplifier, audio oscillator, PA system - just for starters.

3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    You can build a 'noise generator', which is ideal for providing a broadband test signal.

Just amplify the noise output from a zener diode with a high gain ope amp.

This produces pseuso white noise

This can be tailored to the standard audio test signal, pink noise, with an rc network.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  5. dyeraaron

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys...I planned on using my Ipod, but what type of connection jack / plug do I need..the audio input on my schematic is just a circle with a hole in it....I 'm like Ok..????

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    For the standard audio connector like the 3.5 mm plug out to headphones, the tip is one channel, the ring is the other, and the barrel is common. That audio input you describe might be a BNC, but it's unlikely.

Can you post up the schematic?