Audio Fading

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by suvenier, May 13, 2009.

1. suvenier

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Hello to you.

I'm building a simple electronic sound syntetizer.

Basicly It consists of several coupled oscilators, each conected to a key on a key board, that connects the sound to a signal mixer (and amplifier) and finaly to the sound output.

What I would want to accomplish is a fader effect on the key strokes, I mean, when you play a piano key and they take off your finger, the tone will keep going for a few seconds, fading away.

OK so I know how to keep the tone active after you take of your finger (just add a simple Rc timer to keep the signal flowing) , but I dont know how to add the fade out effect.

can you help?

thank you.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Howdy:

It sounds like what you need is a one shot (monostable multivibrator) followed by an RC time constant. A one-shot is very easy to create with a 555 timer....probably redundant to descibe the circuit, as it's been beaten to death on this forum. :)

Have you had success in using an RC time constant to create your decay envelope? If so, the addition of the one-shot should be a snap.

Eric

4. suvenier

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Thank you a lot. I spent a lot of time searching for material and studiyng what you gave me.

But I realised I dont really need a complete ADSR.

Is'nt there a much simple way to perform the envelope effect? I dont need the four effect stages (Attack, Decay, Sustain, and release), I just need sustain and realease.

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008