Audio EQ

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by James4553, Nov 27, 2009.

1. James4553

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Hey Guys,

I'm doing an audio equalizer project using capacitors to set the frequency bands and pots to boost/cut those frequencies.
    I have a question. I didn't realise this at the time but a few of the capacitors I calculated the values e.g. 2.2uF of don't come in non-polarised form so I'm wanting to use electrolytics but I'm not sure which way I would put them around..
    Would I connect the + leg of the cap to the + line or the - leg to the + line?
    Cheers.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Can you post the circuit?

3. James4553

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Sure, the caps in mentioned are the ones outlined in red.

4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Since it is an Audio circuit, you might be better off using the non polarized type.....

My .02

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The internal schematic shows that pins 1 and 9 are in the emitter circuit of an NPN transistor. It would probably be pretty safe to use an electrolytic with the negative terminal connected to those pins.

If you want to be very safe, get two 4.7 uF electrolytics and connect them together either negative to negative or positive to positive. They may then be used as a 2.35 uF nonpolar capacitor.

6. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Speaker crossover networks use high value non-polarized film capacitors. Cheap speakers and cheap audio amplifiers use non-polarized electrolytic capacitors.