Audio driven led question

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Hi. Would I use an inverting or non-inverting op amp design for using an electret mic to flash a single led?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An electret mic and the resistor that powers/loads it are a faily high impedance (about 2.5k). If an inverting opamp is used then its low input impedance might reduce the output of the mic.
So a non-inverting opamp with a fairly high input impedance (12.5k and higher) is the best preamp circuit.

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
I will go with the non-inverting opamp then. You mention the preamp circuit, isn't that just the use of a vcc to a resistor and capacitor off the positive point of the mic? Are you talking about using the opamp as the pre amp?

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Thanks. I'm planning on using the LM358n. I might need some assistance on the schematic for this circuit.
Question: Does the electret mic create AC? Impedance relates to AC from what I understand. I plan on using a 9v battery for this, that's not AC.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An LM358 is too noisy (hiss), has high crossover distortion and has a bandwidth too narrow to be used as a mic preamp. Many low noise opamps are made. I use a TL071 single, TL072 dual or TL074 quad opamp that are low noise, have very low distortion and have a bandwidth that goes high enough for audio.

Here is a preamp for an electret mic:

Attachments

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Thank you for the preamp schematic. Would the 'hiss' of the 358 cause the led to flicker uncontrollably? I will look for the 071.