Audio controlled DC-AC Inverter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mtv22, Jul 8, 2013.

1. mtv22

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Hello, so my project involves flashing electroluminescent wire to music. I plan to have separate wires dedicated for specific audio frequencies (some for low, mid, and high but I will probably separate it into 5 or 6 ranges) by using some band-pass filters. That part isn't too difficult, but what is giving me trouble is that I need a DC-AC inverter. Now I want this project to be portable so it needs to run off a 9v battery and the EL wire needs to run off of ~110VAC at about 1500Hz. The amount of EL wire i'm using shouldn't consume any more than about 1watt, so I don't need a very powerful inverter. This is where things become difficult, I want to be able to make the inverter myself so it can be controlled with the audio. I really am not sure where to even start with this, because all of the schematics I can find involve a 12V DC power supply and output several hundreds of watts. In addition, I'm not sure how I can control the 110VAC for the EL wires with audio input at several different frequency ranges (one range will be <400Hz while another will be >8000Hz) when the EL wire operates at one frequency, ~1500Hz. As I'm writing this it's starting to sound almost impossible, so hopefully somebody can advise me as to whether my suspicion is true and I should just quit while I'm ahead or if this really is do-able.
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Not at all!

Take a look at this recent related thread to get started. You need to add one thing, a 1500Hz signal to power the load instead of the steady DC for LEDs in that thread. Not impossible.

As I understand it, pulsed DC would work. The EL wire, like a capacitor, would discharge during the low part of the signal and charge during the high part. But anyway, a 12V square wave from a 555 timer (for instance) could be fed to a power transformer run in reverse to step up the voltage. I've used an old wall-wart transformer for this, to get high voltage pulses from a 9V battery circuit.

BTW, I'd never heard of EL wire before but now I want some! :D
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013