audio amplifer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by JasonL, Jun 17, 2013.

1. JasonL

Thread Starter Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I recently finished courses that covered op amps, capacitors, and inductors.

I learned how to calculate the gain of an ideal op amp using nodal equations.
    I learned how to write transfer functions in circuits with capacitors and inductors by writing nodal equations in S-domain.
    I learned how to determine what type of filter the circuit is from the transfer function.

I want to create an audio amplifier for mp3 player that will power a small speaker.

I started simple and created a simple op amp. The circuit is attached. The circuit gets louder as R2 > R1 but there is a lot of distortion. The course I took at my university so far taught how to analyze a circuit and write equations, but I have no experience the other way around (i.e to design one).

What would I need to do to make the output sound less distorted. I know I would probably need a capacitor or inductor somewhere but how do I know where to put it? And I'm guessing the next step would be to write a transfer function and solve for the component value?
  2. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    The understanding that an op amp can't drive a speaker. An op amp's output impedance is probably 100 Ohms and you are trying to drive a load which is probably 8 Ohms or 4 Ohms. Can't work.

Power amps that drive speakers have an output impedance om maybe a tenth of an Ohm.
    JasonL likes this.
  3. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    As bounty said , a normal OP amp can't provide enough current to drive an 8 ohm speaker. Try putting a 30--80 ohm resistor in series with the speaker depending on your voltage. It will be playing at a much lower volume but undistorted
    JasonL likes this.
  4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    JasonL likes this.
  5. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Unfortunately, they don't seem to teach how to read a data sheet in school. :rolleyes: If you look at that for the 741 you will see that it can typically deliver only a few mA into a load. You need an audio amp, such as Dodgydave suggested.
    JasonL likes this.
  6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    JasonL likes this.