Audible noise in dc motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Vindhyachal Takniki, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
    1. I have a simple application in which three dc motors are controlled by MCU with a mosfet.
    Motor is 12V dc motor & load is small robo tyre as in attached video. This is not much load & moreover tyre dont move on road it is hanging upwards so no friction of road or anything.

2. Problem is as you can hear motor produces too much audible noise , is there any way to reduce it or any silent 12Vdc motor. SO that when motor rotates no noise or little noise is produced. I need 150rpm or 200rpm motor.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Why did you double post?

3. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
    prob by mistake.

4. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    You could try wrapping something around the body of the motor and gearbox to absorb the sound. Generally speaking, the more you pay for a gear motor the quieter and smoother it will be. Look out for Maxon or Escap geared motors on ebay, they cost a fortune to buy new but are affordable as surplus of used parts.

5. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Duplicate thread has been deleted.

6. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Is the noise a whine produced by the FET switching current on/off, or is it gearbox/mechanical in origin?

7. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
    its the gearbox. Are dc motor available for 12Vdc,150rpm, which dont produce this geared noises & can bear a tyre load as in video?

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    I used to design cinema camera electro-mechanical accessories, they had to be super quiet for sound on movie sets.
    It's true that the quality of the gearbox is the most important factor, a high quality motor / gearbox will cost $300-$500 to get it (almost) silent.

Trying to cover the motor with sound absorbing materials won't help much unless you rubber mount the motor AND use a vibration isolating coupling on the output shaft- the gear on the final drive couples lots of vibration into whatever it's driving- producing noise.

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Planetary gear boxes or worm & pinion are among the quietest but are expensive, simple gear reduction types are typically noisy.
    Max.

10. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I will try with stepper motor to see result rather than dc motor. i ahd tried two other d motor but same results

11. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Stepper motor are traditionally very noisy, usually more so than a DC brushed, the quietest is BLDC.
    Max.