ATX PSU Conversion

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Shawn112270, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Shawn112270

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Greetings,

I am currently trying to convert a Shark Tech. 1200W ATX PSU and have come across yellow/green wires (Protective Ground?) and have no idea how to treat them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. RamaD

Dec 4, 2009
    In PC SMPS, Yellow wires are normally +12V. Green is PS_ON, when connected to ground switches on the power supply. I am not sure how many 12V rails are there in yours, as it is a 1200W!
    You could possibly get a detailed description of the colors used by searching for PC SMPS Connector details, and verify the same before using.

3. Shawn112270

Jan 8, 2013

Thanks - it has two +12V rails @42A

The wires I am confused about are the ones that are yellow with green on the same wire - I think they are for "Protective Ground" I am not sure what to do with them or how to treat them. Smaller power supplies do not have that color combination.

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Green/yellow stripe wires are usually connected to the metal case, check with an ohm meter that they are connected, and if they are connect them to the earth on your mains suppply.

5. Shawn112270

Jan 8, 2013
    I just had another look at my PSU (with a magnifing glass) and it looks like those green & yellow wires are for +12V2.

I did see the LARGE green & yellow wire which is grounded to the box.

I guess I need to go buy a new multimeter so I can test this theory.

Thanks again