ATX,AT p/s outputs in serial

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by whiteggs, Feb 16, 2010.

1. whiteggs

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    No, they share a common ground.

3. whiteggs

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2010
  4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Do you have a specific need for that much power?

The auction you linked to basically states that the supply is "AS IS" - if it's dead, you've spent about $55 on a doorstop.

5. whiteggs

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2010
    It is just the right power I need to charge the LiFePO4 pack of my EV.
    His return policy states "7 days after the buyer receives it" and "Refund will be given as Money Back". Ebay will also cover original shipping.

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Unfortunately, it's not the right power supply to use as a charger.

If you connected a dead battery pack and plugged the supply in, the battery will look like a heavy overload, and the supply will shut down.

You need a unit that is specifically designed to charge LiFePO4 batteries. Otherwise, you risk a nasty fire.

7. whiteggs

Thread Starter Member

Feb 15, 2010

My question is How to power-up the server p/s mentioned earlier, Not if this p/s will work with my pack.
    You don't even know the capacity, voltage and charge rate of my cells and just assume that it won't work?

Some bit of info regarding LiFePO4s which I think you are not familiar with.
    Lithium iron phosphate batteries is a safe Lithium battery chemistry. They don't go into Thermal runaway leading to a fire. They don't burst in flames when over charged, under discharged, punctured or smashed like garlic. One of the well-known brands is made by A123 Systems.

Excuse me sir, in your "fire safety" comment, you maybe referring to other conventional lithium-ion battery chemistries:
    Lithium polymer, Lithium oxide, Lithium cobalt = Dangerous if mistreated

Have a nice day.

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, so why don't you give us the specifications of your battery, preferably the manufacturer and model number, and a link to the specific datasheet for your battery or batteries?

Whatever it is, that doesn't change the fact that if the current ratings of the power supply you are considering are exceeded, it will simply shut down until the load is removed, and the power to the supply is cycled (removed for 10-30 seconds, and then turned back on.)