Attack of the killer ants

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You wouldn't believe what happened to me to night.

But first let me tell u the story of my life again.
This never fails to happen, really. Since I started earning, I have got me some kinda jinx. I dunno..heard these from movies or sumthin, Is it what u guys call it ?

If I earn or get rather large paycheck from a job, something is about to happen once I got the money. What ever happens, the money I earned goes up just like that, with in a day.

Seriously, what gives ? :eek:

I mean, it never fails. Ever. Every single time, me got some big pockets, "poooof" there it goes. Completely.

This time is really funny.
U know I just finished a job right?, and what I wanted with the money was to send mom to India for her medical checkup, and save some of it too. But of course me got to by some stuff from Ebay too. Still, I got a couple of grands to save.

But first lemme tell u that I am posting this thread on a Stby machine that I had. It got no HDD's but the primary.

Tonight when I cam home, my monitor was showing.

"NTLDR " & some BOOTMNGR lines were there......:eek: WTF ??

I reset the workstation. Still the same thing.

My Boot Drive is missing. Where the hell did it go ?:confused:

I mean it was there when I left couple of hours ago.

Checked Bios. All the other HDD's are detected but not my primary drive.

Crap !!! Now what ?

Time to get the workstation onto the bench.

Took out the Primary drive, and can you believe what I saw ?.....

It was full of Freakin Ants. The Biting kind. Those guys have settled down on my 500GB Primary HDD's SATA & Power connection area of the PCB. They were having a party on my freakin hard drive :eek:.

It was a colony. I think the queen is some where inside. So took it apart and found the bloody thing running on my HDD platter. The little buggers actually killed my HDD. And to think they were inside the HDD where the head lies. They are enjoying the warmth of my HDD.

Son of *(^%(!!!.. so I vacuumed the bloody lot. But the HDD does not spin :(.

And I thought what if ?

Took out the second drive, another freakin colony...running around on the PCB. Vacuumed it.

Took out the third drive, and more freakin colony...running around on the pcb. Vacuumed it.

Took out the fourth drive, another freakin colony...running around. Vacuumed it.

Took out the fifth drive, another freakin colony...running around. Vacuumed it.

But no colony in my DVD Drive. Phew !!!...

Freakin little buggers...they were every where....!

I mean c'mon....I don't mind those guys being there but not inside my friggin hard drives...!!

Those tiny SOB's killed my Primary Drive ....!

Again it happened, and I was hoping to buy a 2TB one to save the backups. But now I have to buy more.....!

Sorry Guys...no pictures as this was a stby PC and me & wify were running around the room sucking up 'em ants.

So now I am back to square one again.

This is my life and I freakin love it. :D

I'll be back with some new HDD's.

tata for now.....

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Debug?? Nice one Geo....and I did debug it.

tom

All I know is that I can see them in bios. I have yet to find out. I need a new HDD for my primary.

All I know is that I can see them in bios. I have yet to find out. I need a new HDD for my primary.
For a second i thought you were referring to the ants. :D

Damn, that's more than bad luck.
However, i still can't understand how they killed the hdd. It's made of plastic and metal. Do they eat that as well??

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
For a second i thought you were reffering to the ants. :D

Damn, that's more than bad luck.
However, i still can't understand how they killed the hdd. It's made of plastic and metal. Do they eat that as well??
Bad luck....tell me abt it.

I am still wondering the same thing. I checked the PCB thoroughly but the HDD does not spin up.

All the Regs are working. I mean I can measure the onboard DC to DC converter voltages and they show up fine.

Funny thing is the motor does not spin up. I can turn it by hand. I checked after opening it. Saw a creepy little bugger hanging on the head. I cannot touch the plates yet .

My problem is why the HDD is not spinning up.?

A spinning disc on 1000s RPMs with biomass on top of it can't be a viable combination for the HDD.
Do you think they were enjoying the joy ride. :D

A spinning disc on 1000s RPMs with biomass on top of it can't be a viable combination for the HDD.
Gross. A massacre took place in your hdd.

I don't think there's any chance it will function normally again, even if you get it to spin (that if you are not in a clean room). Dust is the plate's worst enemy.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Do you think they need light, after living underground all winter? They just like to fit snuggy and cosy between the magnet and the motor. And then you hit the power button.

Blended ants anyone?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Geo...I am gonna send some to ur door step.

I will reprogram them and we'll see what happen next .....

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Living in a big urban center in a 6th floor penthouse has its perks.

I do have the occasional bedbug however, which is VERY annoying. The ground floor apartments aren't exactly clean.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How did the ants get on your Island,imported food with bugs on it.

Have you seen the ants mounds on the Island,they like to get into

you a/c control box out side. They eat veggie's, meat and can kill

a human with one sting.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Georacer,the bed bugs is a big problem with all the hotels and apartment

all over the U.S...Bed bug was joke for years,then all the sudden they were

biting guest in the best hotel,the penthouses. They are hard to get rid of,so

be careful of going up 6 stories,you can carry them in with clothes.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The tourist ships will bring them,they have them also,do the ships fill up with your

free water like they do every where esle. The ships don't come with water meters,

they just hook up at port and leave with your fresh water.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I try to keep the place generally clean and use bug spray, but it's not a one-off process.

I heard mopping with diluted diesel helps.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The best thing to do is to strip all your bed ware and wash it good and the heat from

the dryer will kill any eggs. The matress and box springs have to be uninfected.

Its is a big job to strip down the sheets and blanket,but if you get a good nights

sleep its worth it. They say they are hard to see until you are infected,then its

hard to get rid of them . How would like to rent a penthouse in an expenstive

hotel and itch all night.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
That's the funny thing (and the fortunate too). They have only bitten me in the legs, while I 'm on the PC, on the other end of the house, opposite the bedroom. Also almost all of their sightings are on the PC desk, where I can kill them conveniently.

Thanks for toning down your poetry to help me.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The thing that confuses me is hard drives are hermetically sealed. There should have literally no way ants got inside that unit, they are air tight and filled with nitrogen for crimmies sake! The fact it was not sealed suggests you got this drive from a less than reputable source, and it would have died anyhow pretty soon. The nitrogen filler inside is not an accident, it keeps moisture and oxygen away from pretty sensitive areas. When they build these units it is in a clean room environment.

It is possible the ants chewed through something , but I find that highly unlikely. Fact is, they alerted you to other problems. That drive was not right from square one.

Funny.....we don't have bedbugs...!
Maybe the ants ate them? :D They are very carnivorous.

Be thankful, bedbugs are adapted to humans, they are our own private pestilence. Normally, if you have them, they are considered almost impossible to get rid of. People throw away furniture to eliminate them. They are sensitive to heat, sunlight kills them, but they will burrow into a mattress to hide if you attempt to do something like this. Their are several species that can be referred to as bedbugs, but the real bedbugs are a scourge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

Last edited: