Attack of the APPLE in media

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So I'm watching the beginning of Basketball Wive because my remotes on the table and I'm on the couch. I notice if you have a laptop in TV shows its an APPLE. I wonder how much they pay for that. They have a 99% market share on TV, but a 15% market share in reality. Do you think APPL paying for them to have apples? Or do you think since their on TV and they make rediculous money they don't care and just buy the most expensive one they can? Anyways before I loose my train of though I'm watching BW's and one chick had a mac book pro, next to a ipad, next to 2 iphones. WTF? Who has all 4 of these devices just sitting on the bed positioned so you can see all their logo's. Plus any documentary I see that shows somone with a macbook, they put a blur or sticker over it.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It's pretty rife, especially in American shows. Big Bang Theory is really bad for it, although I like that show. One of the episodes recently had Raj chatting up Siri (or whatever the voice recognition that no one is ever going to use is called).
Bond films are bad too, the car he drives, the watch he wears, the phones, etc are all provided by the highest bidder.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'm not a BBT fan but have seen it a couple times. What I noticed most is one of them had one of the Dell XPS red laptops. Oh and from the 3 times I've seen it in 5 years I know they get money from XBOX. That a no brainer. I don't think in all 3 episodes they went 5 min without mentioning Halo or Xbox.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I used to watch shows like "American chopper". But stopped then product placement become way to obvious. The persons in such series may be skilled mechanics. But then they speak highly of some product. And at the same time lie through one's teeth. It become clear that these people are not very good actors. So I lost my interest

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I used to watch shows like "American chopper". But stopped then product placement become way to obvious. The persons in such series may be skilled mechanics. But then they speak highly of some product. And at the same time lie through one's teeth. It become clear that these people are not very good actors. So I lost my interest
Yah I can watch the reality TV on Discovery and NatGEO like the loggers, swamp people, etc... But the Entertainment Reality like American Chopper, Jersey World, Girls gone Gotti, and that kinda stuff I just can't take. Of that genre though I do like the Duck Dynasty ones. Its good because like only 1 of them is acting, and everyone else just messes with him 24/7. The best setup I think they had is when the old dad and uncle went to career day at the school. The dad proceeded to field dress a duck in the classroom, while crazy uncle si just sat down and started graphically talking or more like incoherant rambling to the 10 year olds about vietnam and napalm. I was laughing so hard I nearly fell out of my chair.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Product placement shots in TV/Movies,etc... are the way of the future.. I've heard about a new system that will actually allow you to press a button on your remote when a product shot comes up that will actually take you to that companies website to "check that product out"

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I've been noticing that too, definitely not as cool as actors smoking back in the 50s

what I am looking forward to is the MIT invention of computers reading my emotion as I browse internet. It better start talking to me too, "are you upset...", we notice you are interested in electronics, here is a perfect product for you... Next invention - users will not be able to determine whether their webcam is on or off (not that many care)...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just pointing out that "product placement" is the key word here. Corporations pay to have their products in sight on TV shows and in movies.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
My kids watch iCarly, and they have PearPods and other things based on apple products but have pear logo's, :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Ok they've been doing product placement in TV and movies since the invention of TV and movies. Like Coke being the official drink of Johnny5

2. emotion reading technology already exist and is used heavily in marketing research. The kinect and new WII Kinect are what gonna put it in every house hold. So its already been developed they just need to produce enough to make it affordable.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My kids watch iCarly, and they have PearPods and other things based on apple products but have pear logo's, :)
That just means apple wouldn't give em any money..... Its also usually in the credits. Like The Office it says quicky "????????? by HP" and all the printers and computers are HP's.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I was watching 2001 : a space odyssey last night and noticed a rather obvious IBM one, and the film was out in 1968. It's on the dashboard of one of the spaceships, and I think it disappeared the next time the dashboard was shown. I also spotted Howard Johnson, but I'd never heard of it.
Apparently there are more, but I either missed them or my mind now subconsciously wants to fly Pan-Am.
http://www.brandspotters.com/movie.aspx?id=265

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
You can also see IBM on the NAZI deathcamp cards. IBM made a pretty penny making the computers to track the holocaust. So did Coke, they saw war coming and broke the company into two groups, Coke(Allieds) and Fanta(Nazi AXIS). Did biz as normal on both sides then remerged after the war.